cjgalway
Newly Registered

tomato curling purple leaves!!!!

Hi,

I hope someone can give me an idea what is going wrong with my tomato plants. I live in Ireland and have ten tomato plants in my polytunnel. Over the last weeks the leaves have started curling up and dark purple spots appearing on them. The weather has been quite cold at night (5 Celsius or so) maybe this has something to do with it. The link is to access pictures of the plants. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
CJ

https://plus.google.com/photos/11018636 ... 6167132641[/img][/url]

cjgalway
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Has it also been very rainy where you are?

I found this on another garden forum that I'm not allowed to mention/ link to:

from GrowItGold
"Leaf Roll:

During very wet seasons, tomato plants frequently show an upward rolling of the leaflets of the older leaves. At first this rolling gives the leaflet a cupped appearance. Later, the margins of the leaflets touch or overlap. The rolled leaves are firm and leathery to the touch. One half to three-fourths of the foliage may be affected. Plant growth is not noticeably checked, and a normal crop of fruit is produced. Frequently leaf roll occurs when tomato plants are pruned severely, and it is very common when unusually heavy rains cause the soil to remain moist for long periods of time.

To prevent leaf roll, keep tomato plants on well-drained, well-aerated soil, and protect them from prolonged periods of heavy rainfall if you can."

Also this: (Univ. of Colo.)

"Leaf roll, or leaf curl, is a physiologic distortion that may develop with periods of cool, rainy weather. It cause the lower leaves to roll upward and become thick and leathery. Leaf roll does not affect plant growth or fruit production and requires no treatment.

If this is the problem, then if it warms up and dries out your plant should be fine.

However the purple coloring and the spotting visible in one picture are worrisome, so it could also be some disease process. Let us know how they progress...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”