gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Need help to find out what is wrong with these plants.?????

Noticed this today, these plants were the first of first being planted and have been doing great. I really see them pulling thorugh but until I know what's wrong, they are in limbo.

Any ideas.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05686.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05687.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05688.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05689.jpg[/img]

Notice the top of them curling up.

Thanks

Dono

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

dang that is weird I have not a clue....what's been happening?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

A couple of ideas both bad news. It may be herbicide drift. The plants may come out of it, maybe not. The other is curly top disease, a virus vectored by a leaf hopper. Uncurl the leaves and look for the insect inside. They may be gone and the virus is left behind to kill the plants. If the veins on the leaves are purpleish that is also an indication of curly top. No known cure.

Or if you are lucky it is a lack of water. Soak the plants good and if they come out of it, great.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

A couple of ideas both bad news. It may be herbicide drift. The plants may come out of it, maybe not. The other is curly top disease, a virus vectored by a leaf hopper. Uncurl the leaves and look for the insect inside. They may be gone and the virus is left behind to kill the plants. If the veins on the leaves are purpleish that is also an indication of curly top. No known cure.

Or if you are lucky it is a lack of water. Soak the plants good and if they come out of it, great.

applestar
Mod

Is that the neighbor's fence behind it? You never know even with good neighbors. My neighbor has always been careful along the fence where my veg garden is located and I felt reasured to see some dandelions and clover along there, but they hired a lawn service this year. :shock:

I saw the young man dragging the stinky hose around spraying stuff (it's funny how when you ask, they almost always say it's "fertilizer" -- but when they are spot spraying, thats not very likely, is it?) and asked him not to spray near the fence, pointing out my garden, but I can't stand there all day every day and it might not even be the same guy next time. (It would be tacky to hang a sign on the fence, right? :?)

I'm thinking of/planning to get plexiglas sheets (I think that's what I want -- have to check prices) and secure them to my fence. I hope that's enough. At least my property is slightly elevated and slopes down to their yard....

Tonio
Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:A couple of ideas both bad news. It may be herbicide drift. The plants may come out of it, maybe not. The other is curly top disease, a virus vectored by a leaf hopper. Uncurl the leaves and look for the insect inside. They may be gone and the virus is left behind to kill the plants. If the veins on the leaves are purpleish that is also an indication of curly top. No known cure.

Hopefully just wattering issues.

Paul, most time IMO leaf hoppers do not stick in 1 spot, and it hard to tell immediately what they've done. Alot of small specks , then progresses to bigger holes from what I have seen.

applestar wrote:I'm thinking of/planning to get plexiglas sheets (I think that's what I want -- have to check prices) and secure them to my fence. I hope that's enough. At least my property is slightly elevated and slopes down to their yard....
PLexiglass is muy expensive , AS.

T

applestar
Mod

PLexiglass is muy expensive , AS.
Yeah, that might not be the right name for the product I'm thinking of. It comes in sizes similar to sheetrock and plywood. Hardware store is not my regular hangout, :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

You're thinking polycarbonate, AS.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono, looks 100% what all of my first transplants looked like last year (can't find the post, but it's there somewhere...) Curling and dwarfing of the new growth as you showing in the photos, can be attributed to either herbicide damage, or dz, as Paul mentioned earlier. CMV looks awfully close, to my eye anyway, but rather rare...

If herbicide, 2,4-D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid), very common nasty junk to keel the broadleaf weeds. Often used by farmers, so the straw (if you purchased it) could be "infested" with it, or your neighbors.

I've actually went as far as digging out a complete 3' tall plant, and drove it to the local extension. They sent it (free of charge) to have it tested, and came back as 2,4-D

Some of my plants recovered, some didn't, but even the ones that did, did not show much vigor for the rest of the season. With heavy, and frequent rains, this nasty does wash away, but still, damage is done (if that is what it is).

Another easy way to see if it is 2,4-D or alike, plant any beans/peas next to affected area, when they sprout, and also look all deformed - you know that it is herbicide. Any legumes are said to be THE most vulnerable to this junk...

Sorry to see this, and I know exactly how you feel!!! Good luck, and keep us posted!

Regards,
D

P.S. Some pics of [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=2,+4-d+tomato+damage&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=8gWzT93xJMOniALqrfGqBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667]2,4-D damage[/url]

Tonio
Green Thumb

Dv's gottya covered for possible herbicides, but now that I looked at the piccies, there sure is alot o flea beetle damage?

soil
Greener Thumb

I would cut them back and hit them with some good compost tea.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”