aliall1

Wispy plum and paste types

I have grown most of my tomato plants from seed the last few years and I have noticed that many of the paste and plum type tomatoes plants are wispier and less robust than the other types I have grown. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

My other plants are dark green, stocky, robust plants. Last year I tried Roma, Amish Paste and Rocky. This year I am trying Rocky and Roma again as well as Sicilian Plum. They are all my most spindly plants and the others look great. It takes them a long time to bear ripe fruit and the plants never look that healthy.

Any thoughts? Do you know of any paste/plum type tomatoes that might do a little better? I am in Zone 5, Iowa.

suncitylinda

Its actually normal for many paste tomatoes to have "wilty, droopy foilage" They actually have a "Wilt Gene" as part of their genetic package. Common to paste and many hearts. I am growing some Opalkas that look wilted contantly, hard to get used to but normal, so I am told.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

It is odd and they don't look right but that is how they grow. I grew San Marzano Redorta last year and it had the wispy gene this year I am growing the Opalka, Trentons tiger, Golden Gates all three have the wispey gene. Its surprising how they well they produce and looking kinda sick at the same time....lol

aliall1

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that it is just the way these types grow. I guess I will keep them around then :)

Thanks!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”