gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

One garden full of tomatoes, now on to the next.

Just finished planting the last tomato going in this garden. I packed it full of tomatoes that is for sure. The only other thing growing in here for now is garlic. Oh and the pots are volunteer potatoes I transplanted into those pots. Can't let them go to waste now can I? By rough estimate I say about just under 120 plants all different variety's We shall see how this goes. I plan to save seed from each but again we will see how that goes.

The pic of the table is what is left I will put some in my other garden at least 5-6 of them go in pots and what I don't have room for I have room elsewhere. So no man down this year at all.

Here's to a great season everyone.

Dono

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05678.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05679.jpg[/img]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Yours looks good. I am getting my 10 varities ready to plant this weekend! I have been eatting lettuce. I planted oak leaf 2 months ago in a cold frame!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Very good gix I am loving it....

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Wow !! Healthy plants. What do you feed them?

nosta

Beautiful plants...and I like your taste in beer. :) I only have 7 Tomates this year(8 if you count the Black Prince I HAD to buy Sunday and havent planted yet). Miss the days when I lived at home and we always planted 100+ tomato plants every summer. The wife limits me to a 18x30 plot in the back yard and I really wish I could do an acre like Dad did every year.

Have a good productive season.

Tonio
Green Thumb

ha ha- 1 more six pack and you'll have the other bed done :-()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:Wow !! Healthy plants. What do you feed them?
So far nothing but good soil and water. My mix is mainly dr earth potting soil and promix with some compost and composted manure and mushroom compost.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:So far nothing but good soil and water.
Works every time

mattie g
Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:Wow !! Healthy plants. What do you feed them?
I'd guess Bud Light, but that's just me...

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Excellent, Dono!

Great looking plants! You will have your "hands" and baskets full!!! Happy growing buddy!!!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

Looks like a lot of tomatoes! Very nice :D

How do you plan to support them this year? I see the cages which it looks like you were using to measure spacing, but the way you have them planted, can you put them over them? Do you have enough?

Duets

Do you grow the tomatoes (all season) in the large black nursery buckets?

Just asking, cause that's the way I am growing my tomatoes this year---container gardening. I have 13 tomatoe plants going here, various kinds, they are all growing well. I have some 30ish tomatoes so far.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Looks like a lot of tomatoes! Very nice :D

How do you plan to support them this year? I see the cages which it looks like you were using to measure spacing, but the way you have them planted, can you put them over them? Do you have enough?
Sorry Apple I replied right after your post but must have screwed it up on my mobile.

Yes I will use those cages and when they are gone what you asked is a good question. I would like to do staked cages but I don't have enough stakes for that and I have already spent enough on the garden. I may have to do the Florida weave on some to save stakes. Bring your ideas and muscle for help I could use some. 8)

Dono

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duets wrote:Do you grow the tomatoes (all season) in the large black nursery buckets?

Just asking, cause that's the way I am growing my tomatoes this year---container gardening. I have 13 tomatoe plants going here, various kinds, they are all growing well. I have some 30ish tomatoes so far.
I always a few in pots, I also like potatoes and carrots in pots as well. Don't forget to water them a lot, maybe twice a day in the heat of summer. They also need to be fertilized.

Good luck.

applestar
Mod

How about -- Set up the cages every other one/group and you can just tie branches and stems of the uncaged ones to the cages next to them.

Prune off suckers growing in directions that can't be supported.
(I do this when using Florida weave -- keeping them two-dimensional kind of like espalier)

mother ship
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:How about -- Set up the cages every other one/group and you can just tie branches and stems of the uncaged ones to the cages next to them.

Prune off suckers growing in directions that can't be supported.
Does anyone EVER have enough cages???

Last year I FINALLY got hubby to make me BIG STRONG cages (some kind of reinforcing wire w/ 6" holes).... they work great slipped over 20 gallon black plastic pots (space & sun VERY limited... so I have a lovely driveway garden!)

For the plants lucky enough to go in the ground, I staked the big round cages & for each cage, planted 2 tomato plants on the outside, am tying/weaving, espaliering if you will, the plants as they grow... so far so good... but still I somehow do not have enough cages!

Probably because I found out this year that they are also great for peas...and beans... and cucumbers...and tomatillos... even trying the smaller squash on them :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”