FaTRippz

Tomato foliage not filling out

As you can see by the picture something must be wrong with the tomato on the left. does anybody might know what the problem is or have any ideas??
[img]https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/rob-dog420/tomate.png[/img]

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

what kind of tomatoes are they some tomatoes don't have as much foliage as others.

FaTRippz

they are polish liguisa or they could be beefsteaks I mixed them up early on. they have a couple set of flowers I guess ill just wait and see what happens. by the way I cannot find polish liguisa tomato seed anywhere anymore. what a bummer I am having a very hard time germinating and grow is strain of tomato.

suncitylinda

I cant see it very well but Polish Linguisa has different (Sparse, weepy) type foliage as do many of the paste types. They carry a gene, I think it is actually referred to as the "Wilty Gene" I presently have growing some Opalka and San Marzano Redorta and they tend to look like they are sick, but it is normal, I am told. I think Knapps Fresh Veggies has Polish Linguisa seed. If not PM me, I think I have some, somewhere.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I agree... the wilt gene is fairly normal to elongated tomatoes and hearts they look sick but thats just the way they grow ...

FaTRippz

I hope so, I don't want to pull it prematurely, but its getting yellow and some brown spots. I think I'm gunna have to. I need the bucket its in, ill wait till the other seeds I got from suncitylinda germinate then its outta there.

suncitylinda

The plant in question looks more undernourished to me than anything else. I keep liquid nirogen around by way of a gallon of fish emulsion. It absorbs quickly - smells bad though..... :lol:

Tonio
Green Thumb

suncitylinda wrote:I cant see it very well but Polish Linguisa has different (Sparse, weepy) type foliage as do many of the paste types. They carry a gene, I think it is actually referred to as the "Wilty Gene" I presently have growing some Opalka and San Marzano Redorta and they tend to look like they are sick, but it is normal, I am told. I think Knapps Fresh Veggies has Polish Linguisa seed. If not PM me, I think I have some, somewhere.
Interesting Linda, I am growing San Marzano redorta this year also. I have never seen such a scraggly tomato plant. Leaves are all floppy.
Hopefully I am not having a K- phosphorus deficiency- as they have a purple tint.

tbenton
Newly Registered

I live in Northern Va (zone 7) and none of my tomato plants are growing 'fat'/bushy like they usually do either. They are not in containers. I have several varieties and they are nice and green with no disease YET but look kind of scraggly. We had a really early warm spring and then it got too cool and I had to cover them at night and then really hot and weather roller coaster ever since. I have picked two tomatoes a bit larger than golf ball; there are a few green ones on each plant and lots of flowers at the tops but the plants are just not thick like they usually are by now. I water them every other day and Miracle Grow every 2 weeks and replenished the soil in the planting holes with M Grow garden soil this year. I am puzzled.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”