shar

Using Fibre Pots for Tomato seeds

When using fibre pots for starting tomato seeds, can the entire pot be placed in soil when planting to a bigger pot? In other words, will it break down in the soil or do I need to take the seedling out? And even if it does break down, is it still a good idea to disrupt the roots by taking the seedlings out of the fibre pot? This is my first attempt to start anything from seed. Thanks

garden girl
Cool Member

It is best to put into larger pots as they grow, planting deeply up to the top leaves. The stem will then root. Water only when the mix is on the dry side, have fun!

Durgan
Cool Member

shar wrote:When using fibre pots for starting tomato seeds, can the entire pot be placed in soil when planting to a bigger pot? In other words, will it break down in the soil or do I need to take the seedling out? And even if it does break down, is it still a good idea to disrupt the roots by taking the seedlings out of the fibre pot? This is my first attempt to start anything from seed. Thanks
Have a look at his thread. https://Fibrepots.notlong.com

I assume you are talking about the simple fibre pots, they will disappear if kept wet. The problem is is when they are partially sticking out of the soil or used alone, they act like a wick and moisture is taken away from the seed and root area. This is a most undesirable situation. They do tend to keep the root ball contained when transplanting, so they have some advantages.

The large fibre pots never rot when put into the ground. They should usually be stripped off if the plant is to remain in the ground.

My two cents worth.

Durgan.
Last edited by Durgan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shar

thanks for the info. guys. I used the little fibre pots that are connected, like an egg carton, just to start the seeds with the intention of transplanting into something bigger when the first 2 leaves appear. I have them in a flat with sides high enough so I could put soil in the flat and stick the fibre pots in them. Good idea? I just wondered if when I do put in bigger pots, can I cut each little section and just stick that in the soil in the bigger pot or do I need to fish out each seedling.

Also, if the pot draws moisture from the seed, can't I just dunk the fibre pots in water every other day to keep it moist until transplant time?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

These fiber pots are usually made from peat, the idea is that they break down once in the ground but, the problemis that they keep the root ball bound up and tight. Ideally, you want the roots nice a loose and able to spread and grow.

So, if you do use them; I agree with Durgan; cut them off before planting

With regard to watering, you don't need to keep the pot itself wet,just use an overhead watering method. The "dunk" method should only be used when the soil in the pots has become completely dry.

(Once you cut the pots away, chop them up a little and add them to the soil. This will be additional organic matter that will slowly break down and add to the soil.)

shar

great advice opabinia51 which I will follow. Wouldn't have thought to chop up the pots to use so thanks.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the accolade and good luck with your plants.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”