Luria

Miniature Tomato - What are the Different Varieties?

Hi: I would like getting some miniature tomatoes but I don't know the names of any of them. I've read they can be kept in pots. If someone could please provide some names so I know what to look for. Thanks :)

TCHarris32

Are you asking about small tomatoes or actually small plants? I grew some sungold cherry tomatoes in 3.5 gallon buckets hydroponically over the winter. The tomatoes are small and some of the best I've ever had. The plants on the other hand reached the 6.5 foot ceiling and could have gone quite a bit more I'm sure if I had let them.

Luria

The small plants :) but anyway thanks for your advice, your tomatoes sound great

Duets

Cherry tomatoes & patio tomatoes are smaller tomatoes that work well in containers. Cherry tomatoes being the smallest..size wise.

I use a 5 gal bucket from the nursery with holes in the bottom for proper drainage. Also, you can place a PVC pipe in the container to allow for deep watering!

* I usually put a coffee filter over the end of the pipe going in the dirt, & attach it with a rubberband, this way dirt will NOT clog up in the pipe. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have to admit that I have problems growing most anything in containers :oops: . Maybe I should adopt Duets' watering technique! Keeping soil moist is my problem - along with general neglect. There is a container forum here on the Helpful Gardener.

Tumbler, Tumbling Tom, Red Robin, and Tiny Tim are some varieties I see.

I have grown Sweet Baby Girl in containers and in the garden. I was a little more relaxed around them in the open ground :roll: . Still, the plants didn't grow much larger - and seemed to have quite a problem competing with their full-size neighbors. Sweet Baby Girl is one of those modern sweet cherries. Very tasty!

My SBG's did okay in containers.

Steve

applestar
Mod

I believe several were listed with photos in this thread:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40740

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”