veg-grower
Newly Registered

Young tomato plants drooping

I bout a dozen young tomato plants from local garden centre, all were healthy and spruce when bought, they are about 5 inches in height, have them indoors on windowsill and they have went droopy, meaning leaves have drooped and curled back on themselves, they have plenty of water and are moist in there pots, any suggestions what is causing this??
Have I over watered them? just settling into new temperature?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Garden centers usually have pretty much ideal conditions to keep plants looking nice----good for selling them.

Maybe they are a bit in shock from going from one environment to another. Perhaps not enough sunlight, cooler temperatures, too much water. I like to water tomato plants in small pots by either setting them in a container of water to soak it up or being careful to only wet the soil and not the entire plant.

veg-grower
Newly Registered

Thanks Gumbo, could be shock from one environment to another yeah, I would dsay thay have better light than they did in garden centre, I have them in pots sitting on plant pot plates with little water to soak up thru the pot, only thing I can think of is they have too much water, I have removed the plates and leave out watering for a few days to see if any difference, weather conditions here is sunny about 16 degrees inside.

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm going to second the fact you put it indoors in a window.

why cant you have it outside like the nursery?

Duets

I agree, tomatoes do oh so much better outside. Tomatoes truly are sun worshippers.

What size container are you using, & what kind of soil?

Droopy plant can be due to many things...blight & the dreaded bacterial wilt also can cause this problem. Read more here...

https://plantpath.ifas.ufl.edu/rsol/Trainingmodules/BWTomato_Module.html

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”