marklale

leggy seedlings

Hi, my tomato seedlings are 2 weeks old some are pretty leggy. Theyve grown their true second leaves so its time to pot on. My question is can I plant the stem a bit deeper in the soil so they grow roots or can I only do that when theyre a bit older and more sturdy. Cheers.Mark

applestar
Mod

It's best not to bury or pinch off any leaves at this stage, not even seed leaves (first pair), but you could bury the stem up to the base of the seed leaves.

You could bury the seed leaves and the stem all the way up to the first pair of true leaves next time you Uppot or when you plant out inthe garden.

In the meanwhile, try to give them more/stronger light and take them outside whenever the weather is warm enough (but do this gradually at first so they get used to the "great outdoors" and stronger sunlight).

marklale

Ok thanks for your help. Ill bury the stem a bit but not the leaves.Cheers.Mark

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And give them some more light! The legginess is because they weren't getting enough light.

marklale

Cheers.Will do. Mark

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Also put a fan on them part of the day or stroke the plants gently as you pass by them. The stems tend to get thicker in responce to breezes. The air will also lessen the possiblity of damping off and other diseases the young plants might get.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”