PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Normal for a month old tomato plant to be producing flowers?

Hi,

I got a Micro tom tomato that is only an inch high and about a month old and it is starting to produce flowers. It is a determinate, so do determinates grow flowers/tomatoes pretty early?

Also if I pinched the flower(s) off could I encourage the plant to focus more on some leave and height growth? Does that work on determinates?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

An inch high is TINY. I would pinch the flowers. No determinates don't usually flower early. They usually flower late - producing their whole crop at once at the end of the season.

Not normal! I have tomato plants that are a foot tall and not flowering.

applestar
Mod

Is this a purchased plant? What are they giving them, hormones? Is it a known variety? Maybe it's a GMO....

nes
Green Thumb

Or is it possible they were seeded in a very small container and the roots hit the bottom and sent the signal up to the plant there was no more room to grow and to start developing :\.

In which case I'd throw them out & start again.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It's the worlds smallest tomato, a very tiny dwarf only reaching about 4-6 inches. I grew one last year and it got to about 2 inches before it started to produce some flowers. But I was hoping this one would get a little bigger and I was thinking if at an inch it is already producing flowers I am afraid it won't get to the 4-6 inches.

Like I say it is a determinate, so it has determinate growth. Just wondering with determinate growth habits do you or should you pinch flowers to allow it to get bigger or would this have no or bad affect on the plant.

I think maturity is around 55 days too for this variety.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Is this a purchased plant? What are they giving them, hormones? Is it a known variety? Maybe it's a GMO....

It is an OP- variety. I purchased the seeds awhile back.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”