craftman_2001
Newly Registered

container gardening

whats the best size planter box or container to use for growing tomatoes and hot peppers

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Peppers do well in 5gal containers, tomatoes - depending on varieties... Indeterminate plants 10gal+, determinates/bush types 5-10 gal (with 5gal absolute minimum imo). Compact dwarfs (2-4' tall) can be very well grown in 5gal containers.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

Regards,
D

PaulF
Greener Thumb

My experience has been that the fruit size and productivity will be sacrificed when growing tomatoes in containers. Cherry tomatoes, salad sized tomatoes do well in containers as well as dwarfs or bush style plants. Large indeterminate tomatoes need as big a container as possible. I have had good luck with peppers in 5 gal containers but the productivity is also affected.

Containers are better than not having peppers and tomatoes.

Welcome and good luck.

craftman_2001
Newly Registered

thank you for your quick response. that helps me alot I have been trying to do some container growing with no luck plants always die off before they produce,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It can be done, but it is a little trickier than in the ground. You need good fast draining potting soil, it won't work to put topsoil/ garden soil in your containers. And then you will have to water much more frequently than if they were in the ground. I tried a tomato plant in a pot on my deck one year, but the container was too small, the tomato plant was constantly getting wilty from drying out and it didn't produce - I'm sure because I didn't stay on top of watering it as often as it needed, fertilizing, etc.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”