jnunez918

Will 5 gallon buckets work for all tomato varieties?

Do u guys think 5gal buckets work for all varieties?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Not really...

For the healthiest plants and best production, for smaller, determinate varieties, imo, 5 gal is a minimum. For larger, indeterminate varieties, 10 gal and larger. Personally, even determinate tomatoes I plant into 10 gal containers, other go into 18 gal.

Here is my "deck garden", these are all dwarfs, up to 4' tall growth at maturity in 15 gal containers:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-Wh6GDwV/0/O/I-Wh6GDwV.jpg[/img]

Plants just seem to do better in 10 gal+

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Definitely not. As Duh_vinci say's 5 gallons is on the minimun size. You can grow most any tomato in a pot but don't expect miracles. 10 plus is the better route. Though that being said if you are growing small plants like red Robin or the likes a 2-4 gallon would work well.

What are you wanting to grow?

jnunez918

I have a bunch of varieties of tomatoes but I'm also growing peppers, squash, cukes, etc. what do u guys think will work in the buckets? My budget is strapped and I already got the buckets...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the peppers do better in that size container than the tomatoes. Next best would be if you have any dwarf or cherry tomatoes.

jnunez918

Yes! I have some cherry seeds growing! Perfect thx

applestar
Mod

I have heard, but have not tried, one cucumber plant per bucket will work. You'll need a trellis to support the vines. One idea -- again only read about -- is to fill two buckets with cement and set a post in each, then affix metal conduit pipes across at top and bottom and string a net trellis or tie strings.

jnunez918

applestar wrote:I have heard, but have not tried, one cucumber plant per bucket will work. You'll need a trellis to support the vines. One idea -- again only read about -- is to fill two buckets with cement and set a post in each, then affix metal conduit pipes across at top and bottom and string a net trellis or tie strings.
Ok so maybe take 2 bucket fill around 5" with concrete and it postmof some sort to set. Then after dry drill some holes in the side do the bucket for drainage. Ok now I fill with soil, plant and when needed sting a trellis.
Does that sound like it will work?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”