dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

mattie g I know a lot of people that hate tomatoes but they will eat a Juliet F1 hybrid a grape cherry tomato very crisp meaty not a lot of juicy guts give one a try. they also make a great sauce tomato..

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LOL you are like my neighbor Mattieg. He does not like tomatoes but could drink a catchup bottle. :lol:

To go along with Dusty I have another suggestion for you to try. Black Cherry, I have not met a person alive who doesn't love them. Even my boss who hates tomatoes, they mess up his sotmach for one thing, loved my black cherry's.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Thanks both! If I can score one of those to I'll give them a whirl. If not, there's always next year. :wink:

And, gixx, your neighbor and I have a lot in common. I've been known to eat fries with my ketchup...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

mattie g wrote:Thanks both! If I can score one of those to I'll give them a whirl. If not, there's always next year. :wink:

And, gixx, your neighbor and I have a lot in common. I've been known to eat fries with my ketchup...
If you want some Black Cherry PM me I will send some.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I rather like a bit of potato with my gravy... :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gixx, I'm gonna try my first potatoes !
Mattie, I've read that cooked tomato is healthier for men, so if you just can't face a raw tomato it's still OK.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Gixx: I'm assuming you're talking seeds. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment yet to start from seed, but I do hope to start next year. Thanks for the offer!

Deborah: Then I'm doing OK health-wise. I scarf down my wife's tomato sauce like a dog eating some raw Kobe Beef!

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

You'll like the German Johnson and the Belgian Giant. Had good results with both varieties last year, and my brother had even better results -- tons of production.
Taste and other characteristics of the two varieties are similar. They're very tasty.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the heads up Brian

I picked my choices very carefully for uniqueness, size, flavor etc

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Mattie,

Many who don't particularly like tomatoes are often surprised by Cherokee purple, and how unique it's sweet/smoky flavor is, and then the color... So I hope you do like them raw :wink:

Regards,
D

mattie g
Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Mattie,

Many who don't particularly like tomatoes are often surprised by Cherokee purple, and how unique it's sweet/smoky flavor is, and then the color... So I hope you do like them raw :wink:

Regards,
D
Thanks, Duh_Vinci. I've heard a lot of good things about the Cherokee Purples. I general rely on my wife to tell me how tomatoes taste before I serve them to friends (she’s a brave one ;o), but I'm willing to give one a whirl if she gives the thumbs up. In fact, I tried a Brandywine last year on her suggestion, but it just really didn't do it for me. It certainly tasted “betterâ€

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”