Skian

Ordered My Tomato Seeds

I just ordered these tomato seeds and plants, for this season.

From Tomato Growers:
Hybrids -
Jet Star VF
Goliath VFFNT
Heirloom -
Orange Strawberry
Pruden's Purple
White Queen
Sweet Baby Girl - small fruit

From Territorial:
Live Plants-
Indigo Rose
Orange Paruche - small fruit (repeat from last season, just too good, had to)

Any experience with these? Comments? Anyone?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't have experience with heirlooms (trying some the first time this year and it's not going real well so far). Bishop is at 5000' elevation? When is your last frost date? I was just wondering, since I have tomatoes with true leaves already and I'm out here in cold Ohio. You are in zone 8, but with elevation, it's not clear what that means in terms of frost dates, summer temps etc. But good luck with all your tomatoes!

Skian

I won't say "typically" anymore. That term is out the window these days.
Last year we had a very late freeze. June 2 to be exact. Smooth sailing after that. I had tomatos and peppers in the ground the 2nd week of May.
Bucket, tarps and blankets I saved everthing outside and wheeling the containers inside just about every night. I was eating tomatos by the end of June.
This is my first year with hybrids. I figure that they are more dependable for a larger bounty. I really like the heirlooms for the risk and the variety of flavors, colors and plants in general. I highly recommend trying some type or two of the heirloom. Black From Tula or Black Krim -
very very nice flavor. Try the Orange Paruche. Super productive with incredible flavor. A couple Hybrids with a couple heirlooms. Seems like a safe bet.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”