marklale

preparing greenhouse for tomatos

Hi everyone, just wondering what people do to prepare their greenhouses for the new season.Does anyone replace the soil or add anthything to it or even clean the frame and glass and if so what do you use. cheers.mark

dpurdy

Hi Mark,
I'm in the process of cleaning my tunnel, tilling and fertilizing, and germinating my plants for Spring planting. I don't have a greenhouse. I have a high tunnel which is similar to a greenhouse, only we don't use heaters to control the inside temperature during the cold winter months. The high tunnels extend my growing season by about 2 months. This time of the year I'm starting seeds indoors and will be tilling in compost and fertilizer this weekend. I just completed a soil test and will add the needed nutrients to bring the soil up to an acceptable level. The next thing will be laying out my drip lines and covering my beds with plastic mulch. Everything will be all set up and ready for all of this years veggies. Hopefully, I can have all my tunnel vegetables in the ground by the last week in April. Outside of the tunnels I plant a few weeks later. I grow tomatoes (6 varieties), cucumbers (4 varieties), beets, peppers (3 varieties), beans, lettuce mixes, and assorted types of squash.
As a side note, I was in Germany many years ago. Loved the time that I got to spend there. Met many friendly people and got to see many wonderful sights, as well as, ate great food. Best french fries (pommes frites) in the world.

marklale

Hi dpurdy, thanks for the infos. It sounds like youve got a nice set up. I'm growing about 5 different varieties of tomatos , 2 different peppers, and about 7 different chillis but theyre in pots. I'm actually from England but ive been here in Germany about 10 years (the wifes German). We're expecting our first little English/German baby this week so I'm trying to get a bit of the gardening done before ive got no energy to do it :lol: Cheers.Mark

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”