vebyrd36

RE: Heirloom Maters

Here is a few of my favorite heirloom maters. I have been growing many of these since I was 3 years old. Some grows here better then others. I also grow other heirloom vegs as well. VIVI
b]Black Krim
Brandywine,
Cherokee Purple
Green Zebra
White Wonder
Nebraska Wedding (orange)
Amish Paste
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Creole
Homestead
Manyel
Stupice
Super Sioux
Tropic [/b] :clap:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

My son and daughter-in-law gave me some Brandywine seed that was supposed to be the same kind that Thomas Jefferson grew way back when. They were GREAT.

I still have some packets of seed, but this past year was the first time I saved some seed from a couple of the best looking tomatoes. I have some growing in the greenhouse now. We will see.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

some of mine are heirloom almost all are open pollinated you have some taste ones on your list. There are 12 to 20 thousand different tomato varieties I have been saving seeds for a short time and have accumulated about 75 varieties and with that I have a hard time planting half that amount.lol I need more garden... I plan to plant 40 varieties this year with only maybe 2 hybrids.

vebyrd36

I sometimes plant hybrid maters, but they are far away from my looms.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

now you have my curiosity up why would it matter about your hybrids being near your heirlooms?

vebyrd36

We have always separated ours. Only because of the chance of cross-pollination. Which does not happen often but it can happen. Since we save seed I don't want to take the chance. Gotta consider the insect factor. :)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

tomatoes are generally pollinated by the wind. most all heirlooms started out at one time as hybrids which is 2 different kinds of tomato usually open pollinated heirlooms...that crossed.

vebyrd36

Yep anything with in 30-100 feet of each other or so.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

You must have a huge farm. I have access to about 2 and a half acres to grow on but I don't use much of it I do plant my tomatoes a lot closer but I cover mine and tag my blooms on my heirloom tomatoes to prevent wind or insect pollination. I do like to cross tomatoes and try to breed new types of tomatoes. I would like to be able to have that kind of space and water near by very cool.

vebyrd36

Dad's mater patch is about 10 acres on average. Mine is 5 acres, but I'm always experimenting with things. I like to graft and layer and develop things. I remember when I was 10 I had a tomato/potato plant as one plant.

But, I do like thinks that have not been tampered with to much. I think sometimes we have to many hybrids we sometime get lost in what gardening really is, which is to connect with mother nature as well to our roots. :)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

you might be right but some of these new tomato are just to beautiful not to give them a try have you tried any tomatoes by Brad Gates over at wild boar farms they are so great looking and dang there really good tasting

vebyrd36

No but my brother Bobby who lives in Cotton Valley LA orders most of his from Wild Boar. He has a huge garden that he sales out of and allows the community to come in pick.

I'll have some hybrids, like whopper and early girl.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I only grow two hybrids Sun Gold and Juliet I have been growing these two for years the family would not like me to much if I did not grow there favorites. I grow about 10 varieties from wild boar fams they are very poplar at the market for me. Nice meeting you enjoyed the chat...

vebyrd36

Goodnight

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”