TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Cherokee Purple survived the winter--Prune it or leave it?

My [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224961#224961]Cherokee Purple[/url] survived our mild Los Angeles "winter" quite well:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/CherokeePurplePlant_w.jpg[/img]

There are some weeds in that picture, but it's mostly the CP plant. It's even got some flowers:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/CherokeePurpleFlowers_w.jpg[/img]

It's warming up in LA, now, so I'm wondering--should I cut it back? Or just leave it alone?

It's sprawling, and the [url=https://www.amazon.com/California-Plastic-TMC60-Ultomato-Cage/dp/B000RUM0R4]Ultomato cage[/url] I put in there was wayyy too small and wimpy (as evidenced by its invisibility in the photo). So eventually I'm going to want to put a proper cage around it.

If I do cut it back, how and how far should I cut? And then should I fertilize?

happygardener
Newly Registered

You are in a much warmer zone than me, but; I would give it better support and since it is blooming let it go. Cherokee Purple is one of my favorite tomatos. It takes a long time to produce. At least where I am. If you should get a cold snap, throw a bed sheet over it. Pick them with the green shoulders showing. It is snowing here, but I have 4 little seedlings under the lights. Good luck.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I once saw tomatoes that were at least 10-12 feets long, with branches pruned off all except for the terminal couple of feet. The plants were in a rooftop greenhouse, I think in NYC. They pointed out that in tropical areas, a tomato plant can last several seasons. If your plant were mine, I would let it grow, but would perhaps prune some of the lower sucker growth, and as the previous post said, give the plant the support that it needs. I would also have replacement plants growing in containers until needed. IMO younger plants will likely be more productive than one that has lasted from one season to the next. I know that is true for jalapeno plants. I've kept those alive in the greenhouse for up to three seasons, but by the third season the plants were not nearly as productive as first season plants.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

it is an indeterminate type - so it will keep growing and growing and . . .
theory would hold that pruning off the terminal ends should encourage suckering - making for new growth on a more compact scale. but whether they'll sucker on "old wood" is an unknown to me.

unfortunately I have never had a tomato plant survive a winter - so I've no first hand advice.

I have seen demo gardens ala Epcot where plants were turned into "ground cover canopy" - about 8 feet off the ground - "trunks" as thick as human legs!

soil
Greener Thumb

IF its got some nice new growth near the base of the plant or even coming out of the main stems. id cut it back to that just to keep it managable and a new framework so to say for this years growth/fruit. ive had overwintered tomatoes before and the second year they go nuts.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Thanks, all. I'll probably have to prune it back, at least a little bit, just to get a proper cage over the top of it.

I looked at it on Sunday, and it's even got a few tomatoes on it right now! They're small and crinkled, but they might turn out edible if the conditions stay right.

I won't have time to do anything about this until the weekend, and even so I have to buy a roll of remesh and make some cages. I'll post pictures if I make any progress.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes my earliest tomatoes don't have as much flavor as those a little later in the season. So you may want to let the plant produce second batch before making a firm judgement as to how the plant is doing.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

absolutely I think they need the heat to get that great flavor.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would say prune the unsightly at least and maybe a few of the unwanted branches. Than let it go, if you can get it to survive that is great. I hoping I can keep the dwarfs I have been growing all winter alive long enough to set them out. Gonna be a push though.

Good luck.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”