Gini

Prune Marglobe?

Is it true that yoy don't have to prune Marglobe tomatoes?
Can anyone give me more info about this tomatoe?It is my first time planting ANYTHING.
I live in Aruba so it is pretyy hot and sunny here.. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

As near as I can tell from looking on the internet, Marglobe is a determinate Heirloom tomatoe.

Determinate tomatoes should still be suckered which means that as the plants are growing, little "suckers" will prodtrude between the main branches and the stem, these should be pinched off.

I personally never recommend using a tomatoe cage because tomatoe plants always almost outgrow the cages but, if you are really set on using a cage; then you could use one for a determinate variety like Marglobe.

So, you don't have to "prune" the tomatoe plant but, for extra fruit production and ease of access to the fruit you should still sucker this plant.

Gini

Can you tell me exactly where the suckers are located?If you have an image I would appreciate it,..
Sorry,..I am a BEGINNER at this,, : :(

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, no images to provide but, they are really obvious.

When you acquire your plants, watch them as the grow. There is the stem and from the stem will grow the branches though from now and then (actually quite often) you will see some little leaves and branchlets growing out between the branches and the stem (called the apex). Just pinch them off as they come.

Sounds difficult but, they are really easy to see.

Also, if you start with seedlings, before planting them break off all the branches up along the stem except for the top foliage, then bury the entire stem in a hole that is deep enough. This will provide the plant with a large root mass and it will be healthier if you do this.

(A tip from a local expert that I have been using ever since she told me. (Thank you Caroline Heriot!) She's been growing, selling and collecting seeds from (and selling the seeds) tomatoes for years.)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gini, maybe this picture will help.

[img]https://I.timeinc.net/cottage/images/aol/2005/tomatoes/prune_l.jpg[/img]

Newt

Gini

Thank you Opabinia,,you have been really helpfull,.. I will do as instructed,..
Gini,
And thx for the pic Newt,..v

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome, be sure to come back and tell us how your garden comes along!

Feel free to continue to post all questions that you have.

Opabinia51

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”