gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Applestar question on when you start your tom's

I know I somewhat follow your planting times. Though a few years ago I started way too early last year was better.

I can't find my starting dates so I was wondering when did you start your tomato seeds last year.

Thanks

Dono

Crunch time is getting close.

applestar
Mod

My last average frost is sometime between 3rd and 4th week of April.

Last year, I tried starting tomatoes on Valentine's Day and found it to be a tad too early (plants got too big -- I.e. not enough space/height under lights -- before I could start taking them outside to harden off), but when I started on March 1 the year before, I felt it could be earlier.

So between 2/14-3/1 Can't do them all at once anyway. :roll:

Also -
- Starting hot peppers and eggplants on 2/14 worked very well.
- Starting Cabbages, Cauliflower and Broccoli on 3/1 was definitely too late (due to that super short spring we have around here) Going to try 2/1-2/14 this year. If I can, I want to also try direct seeding under low tunnels since I wasn't able to last year.

I need to start my leeks already (well, by 2/1). I was REALLY happy with the way they grew last year. I'm not going to try onions from seeds this year -- sticking with sets and possibly purchased transplants. I need to find a better way to start onions from seeds that doesn't involve starting them in December/January and intensively caring for them during the "break".

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thank you dear. Yes I started about when you did last year as well and it was a bit early. My last frost is around the end March/first week of April. My plants got too big last year as well.

Just trying to get this timing thing down better.

Thanks

Dono

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”