hardland

Tomatoes cracking/splitting, curious why?

Have had a pretty good tomato season down here in Sth FL so far this winter. The last few days a lot of the medium size cherry tomatoes I grow have developed a crack after I have picked them off the vine. I'm wondering why, they seem OK when picked, but about 24-36 hrs later have a crack. We have had some pretty extreme temps, low of 40, high of 85 in the sun, maybe thats a factor? Maybe I should pick them when less ripe or let them ripen more on the vine, as always, any input is valued. Thanks

hardland

Thanks MGDR
I may have been a little heavy handed with the watering, I guess sometimes less is more...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If I may it is more about inconsistent watering. If left to dry out a bit than heavily watered this is a sure way to induce splitting. This is very possible in MO. With a hot dry summer than 5 inches of rain one day, it's not pretty. :(

This is where drip emitters come in handy, though I don't have any. They keep it more evenly moist without major fluctuations in wetness.

Good luck it takes a while to get used to doing it right and even than mother nature will throw you a curve ball now and than.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”