OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

can 2 Tomato Plants Share a Pot

I have 2 nice tomato plants growing together but can they make it alive together?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

UNless you have a huge pot probably not. A tomato plant itself needs a 5 gallon pot minimum.

rockhound

I agree, it's POSSIBLE. It depends on the pot size and the plant size. What variety of tomato are we talking about here? Regardless they will need to be spread out so that each receives enough light. Extra water and ferts goes without saying.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with PR. Not for very long. If they are babies now, they could for awhile, but the longer you wait to separate them, the more tangled up their root systems will be and difficult to separate. Even in a five gallon pot -- you would be way better off to give each of them their own two gallon pot than to have two of them in a five gallon pot.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well the variety is unknown I plant without labels but that's because in every seedling pot I put 2 tomato seeds and these 2 seedlings are doing better than the rest, I thought maybe they can live togethertogether

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Last year I experimented with two cherry tomato plants in one pot. One a sun gold and then other a grape. there were in a 5 gallon bucket and they did alright. I gave them extra fish extract, though.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can turn a plastic bin/tote into a pot. They sell 12 gallon totes for like $8.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

lol If it was me I would keep the nicest looking of the 2 and I would take a pair of scissors and cut the other one off at the base and were done.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I Have a problem, of not been able to thin out plants, Today I got 2, 2litter Soda bottles and made to pots out of em, and put each tomato plant in each bottle, I'm going to use original pot to grow some Ghost pepper seeds

erlyberd
Cool Member

So you divided up the two plants then? Should be fine, keep them out of full sun for a few days until they recover and they'll be fine. Sometimes its hard to cull a plant but heck if they were the best looking of the lot then I'd do the same.

Question is...was the soil/growing conditions the same? Just inquiring minds wants to know? LOL

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

If I knew what the question ment id answer it but ama bit slow, but if you mean if both plantd had the same soil and climate than yea

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well the ones I was talking about I seperated them, but I have another 2 in one pot and they are doing Well, they seem to love it, I was actually watching this video and seems like it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVhrP4et30

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”