hardland

Florida winter tomato harvest, Jan 3 2011

Starting to get my first toms of winter, now have to try and save the plants during a mid 30's cold front and 25mph winds!!
[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/harvestjan1.jpg[/img]

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

oh yum good job....

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Ugh, you're making me miss summer time :( That's what my kitchen looks like in July! Come oooooooooooon spring!!

Moshu

Well done, congratulations!

Can you tell us what kind of tomatoes they are?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful! But you are going to have to work hard to save them - mid 30's with a fierce wind chill is definitely not tomato weather. Best would be to build some kind of mini hoop house over them to protect them from wind and cold.

Or else decide that winter tomato season is over and plant new tomatoes. If you plant an early maturing variety now, you should be able to get a good crop of spring tomatoes before it gets too hot for them. When did you plant the ones that are producing now?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm flagging this thread for the cruel treatment of others by Hardland. This thread is making us all jealous in the colder America. :P :lol:

Though it was 75 yesterday, so much for colder America. :eek:

Looking good there keep it up.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I'm flagging this thread for the cruel treatment of others by Hardland. This thread is making us all jealous in the colder America. :P :lol: ...
Yep - tagged for inappropriate content indeed!!!

Beautiful tomatoes, and ohh how much I would LOVE to have a bite of them right about now...

Regards,
D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

A few of my Black Cherry tomatoes are ripening now. In a few days I will be eating them.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Betcha the mean thing already scarfed 'em all down ! :lol:

hardland

The plants seem to have survived the cold and wind. The production this year has been very good, most every neighbor and friend has received some tomatoes in the last week. I'm spraying every 10 days with a compost tea I brew, I think maybe thats the trick. Also spraying the white flies with neem oil and safers insecticidal soap, trying to stay organic. Fertilizing with espoma tomato tone, 3-4-6, every 10 days. I also water with the compost tea when I spray. The plants with ripe fruit now, were planted in the final container in mid October. With a little luck and les wind and cold, I hope to have a steady supply of toms into April, early May.

[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/harvestjan9.jpg[/img]
The Orange/red toms are Hillbilly, also pictured are Black Ethiopean, Purple Russian and Abe Lincoln. The smaller toms are Livingston large cherries and a smaller cherry type.

Tonio
Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:Betcha the mean thing already scarfed 'em all down ! :lol:
LOL 8) :lol: :wink:

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

Good on you , Enjoy !!

T

hardland wrote:The plants seem to have survived the cold and wind. The production this year has been very good, most every neighbor and friend has received some tomatoes in the last week. I'm spraying every 10 days with a compost tea I brew, I think maybe thats the trick. Also spraying the white flies with neem oil and safers insecticidal soap, trying to stay organic. Fertilizing with espoma tomato tone, 3-4-6, every 10 days. I also water with the compost tea when I spray. The plants with ripe fruit now, were planted in the final container in mid October. With a little luck and les wind and cold, I hope to have a steady supply of toms into April, early May.

[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/harvestjan9.jpg[/img]
The Orange/red toms are Hillbilly, also pictured are Black Ethiopean, Purple Russian and Abe Lincoln. The smaller toms are Livingston large cherries and a smaller cherry type.

erlyberd
Cool Member

Our bitter, cold, and very northern hearts poor out to you man!

I've got a few reds in the window sill to warm my heart just a little though!

LOL!

Looking good indeed. You can rub it in again in Feburary too! LOL

erlyberd
Cool Member

Forgot to mention, how are the Purple Russians producing for you?

I did'nt seem to do so well with them last year, maybe all the cool rain cut down on the production, not sure.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”