GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Personally I have had no luck at all with any of the more unusual types of cherries. Such as Snowberry, snow white cherries, and a few others. I don't think I have specifically tried tomatoberry, but for me it would be one to pass up just based on past experience. Even my cherokee purples (regular size) gave me fits for 2 years before I got some last year. But even then, the plants were undersized and out of 3 plants I only got a handful of undersized tomatoes. I have had great success with the supersweet VF100 hybrid cherries. With two plants providing more than 8 people could keep up with.

I got some purple cherry tomato seeds saved from the farmer's market last year. If you want a third but don't want to spend the money, PM me, I can send you some. I don't want to be discouraging by any means! But as stated, in all honesty, I have had no luck with the different "berry" types of cherry tomatoes.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I should add, my problems came at the germination and seedling stages. None of mine even made it to the garden. :roll:

carolyn137

GardenRN wrote:Personally I have had no luck at all with any of the more unusual types of cherries. Such as Snowberry, snow white cherries, and a few others. I don't think I have specifically tried tomatoberry, but for me it would be one to pass up just based on past experience. Even my cherokee purples (regular size) gave me fits for 2 years before I got some last year. But even then, the plants were undersized and out of 3 plants I only got a handful of undersized tomatoes. I have had great success with the supersweet VF100 hybrid cherries. With two plants providing more than 8 people could keep up with.

I got some purple cherry tomato seeds saved from the farmer's market last year. If you want a third but don't want to spend the money, PM me, I can send you some. I don't want to be discouraging by any means! But as stated, in all honesty, I have had no luck with the different "berry" types of cherry tomatoes.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I should add, my problems came at the germination and seedling stages. None of mine even made it to the garden. :roll:
Jeff, the ones you mentioned above were two that have been bred, Snowberry by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands and Snow White by Joe Bratka. Both are OP.

All I'm trying to say is that I've grown one heck of a lot of cherries and I don't see those two varieties as being unusual at all; both have been around for a long time.

A cherry I love is Green Zebra Cherry, not known to be related to Green Zebra, but probably named b'c it looks about the same but the cherry is lucious and not so the regular GZ for me.

There are two other cherries I do consider to be unusual. Green Doctors is a great green when ripe cherry and there's also a Green Doctors Frosted that came from GD and frosted b'c it has a clear epidemis unlike most green when ripes which have a yellow epidermis, thus the amber blush. Another clear epidermis GW ripe cherry with a clear epidermis is Verde Claro, which I also love.

Cherry sized but not shape might include Medovaya Kaplya which is yellow ripening up to gold and almost looks like Yellow Pear but with no or a slight neck and it looks like a purse tied at the top.

But to answer the question directly, no I haven't grown Tomatoberry and while I do read at several message sites right now I can't even remember others who have although I'm sure they have.

RN, many years ago I grew a cherry called just Purple Cherry, but the taste was not to my liking at all. When the fruits were almost overripe the taste improved, and while I saved seeds and they're still on the paper plate they're in a stack of plates with saved seeds that I never transferred to a permanent home b'c I just didn't see myself growing and of those again. I'd take Black Cherry or Kazachka, anothe black cherry, over Purple Cherry X 100/ :lol:

I know, I know, I could go on here about cherry varieties but I think I'd better keep my fingers still, but perhaps some of what I posted might help someone somewhere. :)

Carolyn

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I guess I just saw them as unusual because last year was (somehow) the first time I had ever come across white tomatoes. I'm sure there are lots of crazy varieties out there. Wish I had the room to try all the ones you mentioned! You sound like quite the connoisseur! :shock:

filmnet

I got seed from a company a few years ago they were in a sungold pack, They both are from Japan companys. They were ok not sweet. but look loving.
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/heart.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Ha, they DO look like little hearts :) pretty cool.

Curlygirl27

I grew tomatoberrieslast year and they were ok. Fairly easy to grow, didn't seem to split as much as some other ones. The taste was ok. I like my sweet 100s better. The shape was pretty though.

jenhp
Newly Registered

I grew it 3 years ago and only the one time. It did make lots of pretty little tomatoes, like little hearts, with ok flavor. I found the consistency to be a bit chewy, and the size a little larger than I like for a cherry. My preference is for small, sweet, cherries that you can pop in your mouth (easily) in one bite.

[img]https://www.tomatodreams.com/MessageBoardJpgs/TomatoberryGarden_DSC4891.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.tomatodreams.com/MessageBoardJpgs/TomatoberryGarden_DSC4915.jpg[/img]

Edited to add, my favorite cherry tomatoes that I grow every year are sungold (very sweet) and sprite which is sweet and firm. It kind of snaps in your mouth when you eat it. I like that. But everyone has their own preference.

Jen

happygardener
Newly Registered

I grew tomato berry in 09. It had a good taste but the amount was slow. This might have been my fault, since it did not have a choice spot. I would grow it again, but bought it as a plant and did not save seed.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Is there a cherry tomato that tastes like a beefsteak? Not sweet at all?
That's all there was in the stores when I was growing up. I miss them.

Sierratoo

Marlingardener wrote:I'm making out my seed order and Tomatoberry cherry tomatoes sound interesting. Has anyone grown and/or eaten these?
If so, please tell me how hard they are to grow, how big they get, and describe the taste.
I hate to be so picky, but I grow two types of cherry tomatoes, and if I add a third, I want it to be something special!
I grew them and they are an interesting experience. Sweet but with a taste of 'tomato'. Also I kept the seed but now I find out it is a hybrid so it wont grow the same tomato. Downer...

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have never grown them but have had never had good luck with weird varieties. My cherokee purples were HORRIBLE. Never got one tomato :( I might try them again but only when I have more space in case the same thing happens again.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”