newbiegarden
Newly Registered

Why aren't they red? :(

These are my little tomatoes. I bought them as seeds in a teeny pot at Target back in April, but they didn't produce any flowers until last month. I don't have them in a pot, but a huge plastic cereal container with holes in the bottom. The apartments we live in won't let us keep any plants outside (fire hazard, but really? A teeny tomato pot?) so I have to keep them inside on the window sill. If I remember right, they're mini tomatoes, so I doubt they'll get any bigger, but they still haven't turned red. I've read that I should cut all the leaves off, but I'm sure where or how much I should cut off. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help!

[img]https://I.imgur.com/7Oqgf.jpg[/img][/img]

newbiegarden
Newly Registered

:D! Thank you! My chest is puffed out in pride. I talk to them everyday, I've heard that works! Thank you for the advice!

carolyn137

Marlingardener wrote:Whoa, don't cut all the leaves off! The plant gets nutrients through leaves as well as its roots. You may be referring to removing suckers, which are non-producing stems, but don't worry about that at this stage.
It's amazing that an indoor tomato plant, on a window sill, is producing tomatoes (and looking pretty handsome, too).
Tomatoes ripen from the inside out, so yours may be in the process of becoming red. Give them some more time and keep doing whatever you're doing, because you sure are doing it right!
I just wanted to mention that suckers are not non-producing. They were called that many years ago and still today b'c it was thought way back when that they"Sucked" the energy from the plant.

They are called lateral branches and produce blossoms and set fruit as well.

Pruning the lateral branches may lead to larger fruits on a plant, and may not. Severe pruning is usually done by those growing really BIG fruits for competitions, but speaking personally, I grow for taste, and taste alone and it helps if thos tasty varieties are also productive. :wink:

Carolyn, speaking as one who does not prune out "suckers", aka lateral branches, and all is well in her tomato patch. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I agree C137 half of my fruit probably come from suckers.

newbiegarden is that window south facing? I noticed the screen too if you can remove it you will get even more light. But this time of the year the sun is waning and less and less light is recieved. Your plant looks very healthy just give it some time. Have you been fertlizing it?

As far as not being able to grow fruit on a window sill or under lights that is another myth. I had fruit on my starters under a blue spectrum light which they supposedly need the red spectrum as well fro fruiting. So there you go.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”