hardland

Anyone know what this is on my Tomato leaves?

It's not that major, yet. Mainly the lower leaves, which I have now removed. It's a white powdery, with what looks like tiny bugs. I was thinking powdery mildew, with some aphids? Not really sure?
[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/leafdamageoct2411.jpg[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

do they flutter away when you disturb them?

hardland

Not really sure if they flutter when disturbed, wil check and see. Any ideas?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Looks like whiteflies to me.

tovfla
Cool Member

Definitely whiteflies. I have lots of them on the underside of the leaves here in South Florida too. I've been spraying neem oil regularly and they keep coming back... quite a nuisance.

hardland

Is the white powdery substance from the white flies as well? Will the plant mature and be able to produce fruit?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah that cottony substance is from them. I had whiteflies on some pepper plant and I just used a small vacuum and vacuumed up the adults. Since I acted fast I never saw them again. I guess since I acted fast they didn't get a chance to infest the area. You can use sprays against the babies I think.

Your plant should still mature and produce fruit. But you should really deal with the whiteflies fast cause they can get out of hand fast and could kill your plant if they infest it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tovfla wrote:Definitely whiteflies. I have lots of them on the underside of the leaves here in South Florida too. I've been spraying neem oil regularly and they keep coming back... quite a nuisance.
Neem is only effective against whiteflies when it contacts their bodies. You would have to spray them every time you saw them. They don't have chewing mouthparts, so they never ingest the neem oil. They pierce the plant tissues and suck the sap, completely bypassing the neem oil on the surface.

You can use the Search the Forum function to find many past discussions with many suggestions for control of these pests. Vacuuming, sticky traps, etc. all work well. :)

hardland

Been reading, what about natural Pyrethrin concentrate? Is this safe?

hardland

I got some insecticidal soap, by Espoma. Will try that for the white flies. I think it's pottasium salts, seems more organic and less drastic than some other chemicals, Sevin etc.

Luria

It might be too late now but for the next time... over here we try cleaning the plant by spraying the bugs with water from a water hose (CAREFULLY) then we spray (prepare a bottle with an atomizer) with a mix of water and dish soap... that works for many insects over here.... hope it can help?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”