digitS'
Super Green Thumb

the Orange of Kellogg's Breakfast

You know, you can't go by the pictures in the seed catalog. Can you tell me about the color of your Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes?

The climate here has cool nights and a fairly short growing season. Also, it starts off really cool and cloudy . . . so, it isn't so great for beefsteaks that require heat and a long season.

I was absolutely suspicious of the Kellogg's Breakfast seeds that a gardening friend sent me this spring and absolutely delighted when those 2 plants began producing a crop of ripe beefsteaks :) !!

But . . . I thought that KB had a lighter-colored fruit. I'm sure that most folks would just say that it is a "red." Maybe it is kinda red . . . mostly a dark orange. It certainly goes thru - orange - on its way to ripening. Is that the way KB is supposed to be?

I've had Orange Minsk in my garden the last couple of years. It makes a big plant but produces few tomatoes. (It did a little better this year than last.) Orange Minsk are really orange, however!

I grew pretty little Jaune Flamme last year. Anyway . . . I think I know what "tomato orange" looks like. I'm very happy with how these new-for-me plants performed in my garden but, what about the color of what are supposed to be Kellogg's Breakfast?

Steve

carolyn137

digitS' wrote:You know, you can't go by the pictures in the seed catalog. Can you tell me about the color of your Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes?

The climate here has cool nights and a fairly short growing season. Also, it starts off really cool and cloudy . . . so, it isn't so great for beefsteaks that require heat and a long season.

I was absolutely suspicious of the Kellogg's Breakfast seeds that a gardening friend sent me this spring and absolutely delighted when those 2 plants began producing a crop of ripe beefsteaks :) !!

But . . . I thought that KB had a lighter-colored fruit. I'm sure that most folks would just say that it is a "red." Maybe it is kinda red . . . mostly a dark orange. It certainly goes thru - orange - on its way to ripening. Is that the way KB is supposed to be?

I've had Orange Minsk in my garden the last couple of years. It makes a big plant but produces few tomatoes. (It did a little better this year than last.) Orange Minsk are really orange, however!

I grew pretty little Jaune Flamme last year. Anyway . . . I think I know what "tomato orange" looks like. I'm very happy with how these new-for-me plants performed in my garden but, what about the color of what are supposed to be Kellogg's Breakfast?

Steve
Steve, I know the orange of Orange Minsk since I was the first one to list it in the SSE YEarbook, seeds from Andrey in Minsk, Belarus.

And I've also grown Kellogg's Breakfast and it's PL version for many many years.

https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Kellogg%27s_Breakfast

The color that Tania shows is correct. And I'm the Carolyn referred to at that page. I used to grow Amana Orange as my best orange but the minute KB became available I switched to KB ASAP.

No, KB is not a red. Perhaps a problem with the seeds your friend sent you? Just a suggestion.

At Tania's page if you go to certain of those seed sites all you'll see for KB is orange fruits, only ORANGE. :wink:

Carolyn

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Thank you, Carolyn!

Mmmmm, orange in those pictures! (So orange, my monitor is probably not deceiving me :wink: .)

Okay, I will save seeds from these very nice tomatoes but I think I'd better order some KB seed and do a comparison next year. Oh! I hope they will be early enuf!

To give you an idea, Prudens Purple just barely gets in under the wire, to the ripe stage. To give you another idea, the "accumulated heat" thru the growing season for this area :? compares to communities in North Dakota.

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”