hardland

Wondering if my mix is too rich?

I just put my tom plants in there final 7 gallon containers, had 14 plants of various type, 2 wilted badly and the rest seem to be struggling. I was wondring if my mix is too rich. in a 10 gallon container I mixed: 70% Fafard 3b potting mix, 30% black kow composted manure, 1 cup calcitic lime, 1 cup bone meal, 1 cup espoma fertilizer (3-4-7), 1/2 cup blood meal and 2 cups worm castings. It's pretty hot/humid here still, maybe that is the problem?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

It could be the heat and humidity that is always possible, however, why did you add so many forms of fertilizer? I would guess it is way too strong at 30% manure you are probably burning the roots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I would mix the above 50-50 with regular top soil...

hardland

I honestly didn't think it was too strong. The main mix ( Faf 3b) has no fert in it. Less cow manure would have been better I guess. I add the lime for calcium, the bonemeal and espoma 3-7-4 for nutrients. 13 of the 15 plants are OK, 2 died. I think it may have been to much direct sunlight in the heat. I hope if the 13 survivors are OK after 10 days, then all is OK. I assume the mix will get weaker as the ingredients get flushed? Funny thing, I have a cheap device that is supposed to measure the PH, moisture and richness of your mix, it still says the soil is way to weak.

Garf
Green Thumb

I think you need a new device.

hardland

LOL, I guess so!
How are you finding the last few days of weather for your Fall veggies? I see your in MIA.

Garf
Green Thumb

[quote="hardland"]LOL, I guess so!
How are you finding the last few days of weather for your Fall veggies? I see your in MIA.[/quote]Soggy. I thought the rainy season was over. Guess again. I only started a few seeds. At least one won't make it.

hardland

hardland wrote:I just put my tom plants in there final 7 gallon containers, had 14 plants of various type, 2 wilted badly and the rest seem to be struggling. I was wondring if my mix is too rich. in a 10 gallon container I mixed: 70% Fafard 3b potting mix, 30% black kow composted manure, 1 cup calcitic lime, 1 cup bone meal, 1 cup espoma fertilizer (3-4-7), 1/2 cup blood meal and 2 cups worm castings. It's pretty hot/humid here still, maybe that is the problem?
I'm getting ready to put 12 more plants in there final 7 gallon pots. From input on here it seems my mix is too rich, so I'll go with this now. In 10 gallon mixing pot: 90% Faf 3B (has no fertilizer), 10% black cow comp manure, 1/2 cup of Calcitic lime, 1/2 cup bone meal, table spoon of blood meal, 1/2 cup 3-4-7 fertlizer, 1 cup worm castings. Seem OK?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hardland wrote:I'm getting ready to put 12 more plants in there final 7 gallon pots. From input on here it seems my mix is too rich, so I'll go with this now. In 10 gallon mixing pot: 90% Faf 3B (has no fertilizer), 10% black cow comp manure, 1/2 cup of Calcitic lime, 1/2 cup bone meal, table spoon of blood meal, 1/2 cup 3-4-7 fertlizer, 1 cup worm castings. Seem OK?
Good luck with it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”