gardenboy
Cool Member

Do you fertilize with Tomato-tone from Epsoma?

Gardener here in south Florida and it's my first time using this product. It's all natural/organic stuff like poultry manure, greensand, humates and feather and bone meal. So far so good. Wonder what your results have been. I also use a liquid seaweed/fish emulsion every 3 days for foilage and around plant. Great stuff!!

hardland

I'm in Sth FL also, I use Tomato tone from Espoma. It seems a little hard to find in the 8lb bags. It's very close in ingredients to the Vegetable tone by Espoma, and that seems a lot easier to find.

gardenboy
Cool Member

Yeah I recently found the 8lb bags from a garden center in Loxahatchee, FL which is about 30 minute drive for me. Cheaper also $10.13 for 8lb bag. My grandfather got me gardening as a boy and have always loved it. Especially the tomatoes. Just be careful with your Tomato-tone around dogs..they love it because of the chicken smell and manure in it. I have a lot of tomato plants and wanted a natural fertilizer besides the fish/seaweed emulsion. Check out my Heirloom tomato list on trading section if you interested in trading some seeds. All of them are indeterminate variety and heirloom.

Douglas

hardland

Is it very harmful to dogs?

gardenboy
Cool Member

Not really..as long as they don't eat a lot of it. Mostly natural stuff in it but I think it does smell pretty good for fertilizer. I like the high potash nutrients in it. Better than all that nitrogen.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

gardenboy wrote:Not really..as long as they don't eat a lot of it. Mostly natural stuff in it but I think it does smell pretty good for fertilizer. I like the high potash nutrients in it. Better than all that nitrogen.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.. every three days is a lot of fish emulsion. The fish emulsion is 5 -1- 1 (NPK). It does have a lot of trace minerals and micronutrients so it's good stuff. But the tomato tone is 3 -4- 6. You don't want to be feeding your tomatoes too much nitrogen. It induces large leafy plants at the expense of fruiting.

gardenboy
Cool Member

I only use 3 tablespoons of Tomato-tone twice a month as directed on the package and mix it with Miracle-gro garden soil around the plant..at least 3 inches away from the stem.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”