ARKLITE881
Newly Registered

Pretty happy with tomatoes.

We planted jut 3 plants, and this year in PNW everything seemed to be late, BUT, as time passed, the blossoms appeared and tomatoes began to take shape. Ended up having quite a few tomatoes, in larger #s than I've ever seen.Nice sized, and eventually good flavor, can't really complain. Now, we've got quite a few green ones, summers winding down fast. And, boy these are sure good with salt/pepper and cottage cheese :lol: Looking forward to next spring. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That was what happened in my garden, also. Very slow start . . .

I can't say that the plants ended up having an exceptional year. The plants are small and so production was limited a bit. Also, despite the record cool start - the record warm temps in late September helped only so much.

There are a few Early Girl plants out there. Even with those, there are plenty of green tomatoes since ripening started so late. Despite a light frost, everything is still alive and there's still a chance of getting a few red (or yellow, or pink) fruits off the plants. I'm kind of poised with buckets in both hands, however. A frost warning is all I need to start hauling the "greenies" out of the garden!

One thing I seem to have learned this year is that there is quite a bit of difference between warmth necessary for tomatoes to flower and set fruit. There for a couple of months, I thought that the Dagma's Perfection plants were only going to have 1 or 2 tomatoes/plant! When it finally warmed up in August - they did what they were supposed to do :) .

While the Perfections were trying to set fruit & ripen it, the Sungolds were just steadily kicking out the golden cherries!

I suppose that high temperatures are the big problem with fruit set for other gardeners. I'm just glad that it finally warmed up enuf to get a good crop and that the 1st frost has held off such a nice long time!

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”