PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Green Zebra Cherry tomato

Hi,

Someone offered to send me some seeds of this tomato for an unknown tomato of mine. This tomato is kind of interesting, supposedly it was discovered in a pint of cherry tomatoes in Germany. No one knows the origins and some guy named it Green Zebra Cherry tomato.

I had a similar experience. I found a cherry-like tomato that is dark with stripes like the zebra tomatoes. Has anyone grown or tasted green zebra cherry?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nobody??

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I am not sure what you would get if you saved that seed and planted it. Note, that the local community garden grows and sells tomato plants every spring to raise money for the horticulture department. Apparently, someone thought to save money on seed by planting a green zebra in the college planter box and save the seed from every tomato. I lost all my green zebra to a cold snap in the unheated greenhouse so I bought some and all 8 plants must have come from seed of the last really small tomatoes. All of the tomatoes were undersized and about a 1/3 could have been passed off a cherry tomatoes. Whether it is wise to keep breeding green and red zebra smaller and smaller, well you be the judge.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I am not too sure about it. Supposedly it is not the same as the standard Green Zebra but an actual cherry tomato. I really don't know. I have not even tasted the regular green zebra. But I am growing them next year. This unknown seed I have could even be a hybrid.

carolyn137

PunkRotten wrote:Hi,

Someone offered to send me some seeds of this tomato for an unknown tomato of mine. This tomato is kind of interesting, supposedly it was discovered in a pint of cherry tomatoes in Germany. No one knows the origins and some guy named it Green Zebra Cherry tomato.

I had a similar experience. I found a cherry-like tomato that is dark with stripes like the zebra tomatoes. Has anyone grown or tasted green zebra cherry?
I'm the someone who volunteered to send Punk some Green Zebra Cherry seeds in return for something he found in a pint of so called Baby Heirlooms offered by Melissa's in CA.

Punk, first, I've IDed the one I was interested in and it's already very available and is an hybrid, so much for Melissa's heirloom label. :lol:

Green Zebra Cherry was found in a pint of all cherries in a store in Germany by Manfred Hahm, a good friend of Reinhard Kraft's whom some of you may know of.

It was traced back to the Netherlands and that was it.

It is not known to be derived from the variety Green Zebra and I'll speak to that for I really do not like the taste of Green Zebra, but love the taste of Green Zebra Cherry.

My seed source was Reinhard in Germany and it was probably named GZC b/c the exterior looks like GZ. I've been offering seeds for it for the past two years in an annual seed offer I do elsewhere and the feedback has been excellent.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”