ARKLITE881
Newly Registered

Can't Wait!!

FINALLY! my tomatoes are really coming on, with the warm weather we've had here in Oregon it's got to be the reason. I've been keeping them watered, but, not flooding them. And it's really looking good, I've only got 3 plants, but, they are heavy, with tomatoes. Going to try to take some pictures tomorrow. I Put them in the corner flower bed , it's open all around to lot's of sun and no shade. Looks like THIS is going to be my tomato patch from now on. :] :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on your tomatoes! Hope your weather lasts awhile. At the end of the season, I just pic all my green tomatoes and bring them in to ripen up slowly. If you have a choice of sunny spots, it's best not to plant tomatoes in the same place year after year. But I have very limited sun, so my tomatoes do stay in the same spot.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good for you. What variety's are you growing?

Crop rotation is a good idea especially with disease prone veggies like tomatoes. But if there is no disease I feel with a good regiment of amending the soil you should be OK. Still moving them around can't hurt. Once the bug hits you will probably be adding to you growing area anyways so it can't hurt to move them.

ARKLITE881
Newly Registered

Well our weather is starting to deteriate as I type, getting cooler during the day, and even more so at night now. But, the good news, they say it will warm up again for a little while in the future. Now, they are predicting rain for a couple of days this week, THIS IS OREGON. Thinking about putting some type of clear plastic cover around and above the plants, 1, to keep the heat in, 2, keep the rain off. Kind of a quickie hot house type of thing. I do have a couple of options when it comes to other planting spots, but, it's full of rose bushes for now. It is on the south side of the house, and, seems to me, almost a perfect secondary spot. But, I can hear the wife now saying ''no way'', lol. these are some pretty nice roses, but, we'll see :D Oh, thanks for the infromation on what to do with the green tomatoes, and the rotating of planting spots.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ah, Portland - the City of Roses!

Or, if you are on the coast - it must be real difficult to get a tomato to ripen on most any year. Or, in eastern Oregon - your 2011 weather may have been more like up here. Pendleton might have the had the coolest growing season in the nation - as a percentage below normal.

Choice of varieties may be your key for success! You have a preeminent breeder of tomato varieties in your state. Do a google search for James Baggett Oregon State tomato. You will find several varieties that Dr. Baggett developed which may be perfect for your growing conditions.

And, Celebrate Your Ripe Tomatoes!

Steve :D

ARKLITE881
Newly Registered

ah,ha, NOT Portland, SE of portland in the ''REAL'' WILLAMETTE VALLEY, not the willamette valley a certain news channel refers to [ portland area] :D I'm not too far from albany, thanks for the infromation on the James Baggott tomato, ill check on it right now.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”