stevepara
Newly Registered

strange fruit

Hi everyone,
in the spring I bought some seeds that were supposed to be tomato tree seeds, however when they started to grow it was obvious they weren't tomato tree seeds...I wasn't disapointed though I was curious to see what they were going to turn into...at first they were growing like cucumber plants only smaller ..I suspect they are some type of cucumber but I've never come across anything like them, out of the same packet all the seeds looked the same but two different types of plants appeared with the same growing habit , ie: tendrills . on one plant the fruits are about the size of a kiwi but covered in soft spiky hairs and a very pale green , the other is slightly smaller but round and more spikey but the spikes look more like a puffer fish, and very green, I've taken some pics so if anyone is interested in identifying them they are welcome to e-mail me and I'll send you the pics .cheers :? ....Steve..

stesorsa@yahoo.co.uk

stevepara
Newly Registered

Oh and I cut one in half ...It tastes quite bitter ....

RyNJ
Cool Member

Are they perhaps [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manroot]manroots[/url]?

stevepara
Newly Registered

Hi,
just googled 'manroot' and it's very similar but not the same as what I've got here but I'd say you are on the right track...if it is some form of manroot then I've got about a 100 useless fruits..Ha Ha..I've got a 20ft polytunnal with about 10 plants right along my work bench..I kept them incase they turned out to be something nice to eat.. :(

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”