RyNJ
Cool Member

Forcing tomatoes to ripen?

I've got about a month and a half left before there's a frost risk, and right now I have 40+ green tomatoes on my 8 plants. 4 are Brandywine and I'm not sure about the other 4, I think they're Better Boys. I want to harvest as many as I can, but I'm worried that at this rate they're gonna get killed before they ripen. Is there any way to push them along and encourage them to ripen in time?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You might consider investing in some row cover or other protective covers for your plants. Even a light covering will usually protect plants from one or two nights of an early frost, which tend to be light. You might be able to gain an extra week or two ... maybe more ... to allow your tomatoes to ripen on the vine. After the first couple of frosts, pick any green tomatoes and set them on your kitchen counter to ripen.

It's the first hard freeze that will really kill your plants and turn any tomatoes to mush. At least that's been my experience. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

One and one-half months is 45 days, Ry. You may have very little to worry about unless you are talking about very immature fruit.

Take a look at this timeline: [url=https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline]Timeline of a Tomato Truss[/url]

Here, September is often a very dry month. (Actually, it is very dry here right thru summer; there has only been about one-half inch of rain this season. ;) ) Sometimes, if there are lots of fruit and it looks like a frost will occur in a week or so -- I'll just quite watering the plants.

I understand that some people will cut the roots all the way around a plant to hasten ripening. That would probably accomplish the same thing and might be useful if there is rain.

But really, I think you have quite a bit of time. The cool down, even under cover should prompt ripening. A vine-ripened tomato is something to celebrate but you should be willing to bring green fruit in during the final days of the growing season.

Steve

RyNJ
Cool Member

Thank you for the advice! I was getting worried, 'cause, as it explains on that webpage, my tomatoes were on the vine for a very long time before finally ripening. Some fruits are very new, but a good amount are well on their way.

I'm gonna step back watering for the rest of the season, and maybe try cutting the roots as well. We've had rain here either every day or every 2 for the past 2 weeks or so (don't know the numbers in my town, but areas around me got up to 8" in a day). It was nice not having to water, but I got some nasty, nasty splitting :( Not to mention the first slugs all season.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I would give the tomatoes time on the vine with 45 or more days left before a light frost. Here in my zone 4 Vermont garden, I picked the last of the tomatoes October 23 last year.

And when it comes time to ripen them once they are picked and are still green, you can do that by putting a few in a paper bag with an apple.

I wouldn't rush the season.

RyNJ
Cool Member

Good to hear, everyone, thank you all for the advice! If you were able to pick your last ones on October 23, gardenvt, I guess I really don't have much to worry about!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

RyNJ wrote:. . . I guess I really don't have much to worry about!
Hurricane . . ?

~ Here is Wishing You a Safe Weekend ~

Steve

RyNJ
Cool Member

Thank you, Steve! Haha, I guess I should have said "I guess I don't have too much to worry about in regards to my tomatoes ripening in time." :) In anticipation of Irene I'm securing my plants, and I'm gonna use some old row cover scraps to hold my larger tomatoes secure to their vines.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:Take a look at this timeline: [url=https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline]Timeline of a Tomato Truss[/url]
That's a terrific page. Thanks!

I've got these Romas:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/Romas_web.jpg[/img]

and these purple guys (either Cherokee Purple or Black Prince):
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/Purples_web.jpg[/img]

and they've been green _forever_. I was starting to think something was wrong.

The peafowl have been waiting and waiting and waiting to steal them from me. :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It has been a hot year and at least around here we are expecting a hotter than normal fall. So the first frost may come late. Keep that in mind. Just keep glued to the local weather and you will have a better idea.

RyNJ
Cool Member

You all were right. They're finishing up in a timely fashion. Thanks for assuaging my fears! :lol:

[img]https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/RyNJ/DSC01099.jpg[/img]

And I've got a lot more yet to bring in, and quite a few large green ones on their way (brandy wines, septoria got all my other plants).

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”