Yogas
Cool Member

Tomatoes stopped flowering - what can I do?

Most of my plants look healthy but are not producing new flowers. Do I need to do something to help stimulate the plant to get more tomatoes?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What varieties are you growing and how are you growing them?

Ddeterminant varieties like true Romas may be done flowering for the the season. If you have indeterminant varieties and you have over fertilizsed them (too much nitrogen) they may be reluctant to flower. Heat will usually not stop flowering, but will prevent the flowers from setting fruit. Lack of strong light will inhibit flowering.

Yogas
Cool Member

They are indeterminate - Black Krim, Beefsteak, Moldavan Green, Cherokee Purple, Sandal Moldovan, Bulls Heart Pink (great tomato!). Because of past disease, I have them all in large containers. I fertilized once in the beginning of the season and gave my hanging pots that are smaller, a teeny amount (about a tablespoon) every two weeks (Tomato Tone).

It has been hot here in Chicago and I have pruned my plants which have created much bigger fruits but less in quantity.

I think I've done everything right - are they just resting? Should I give them some fish emulsion?

I love my tomatoes!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would let them be. Adding more fertilizer probably won't help and at our latitude big tomatoes don't have time to ripen from yet unformed flowers before frost.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”