Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I got that big green tomato worm today!

Two weeks ago I saw the top of one of my tomatoes all eatten up and I new it was the big green worm. I looked and found the worm and droopped it into water! I saw another eaten top of a tomato but could not find the worm since they seem hard to find sometimes! Today one of my small plants with only one small tomato was completely eaten up. All the leaves and the tomato was destroyed even most of the branches. it wasn't hard to find that chubby big long worm. he is now in a bucket of water! Is this dead green machine good for compost or better for the birds?

mattie g
Green Thumb

I was leafing through my already-picked Romas yesterday and a little goop ended up on my hand. As I looked further, I noticed that one of them had two holes on the top of it. A bit closer inspection revealed a green worm on the inside.

I wasn't happy about it, but at least the damage was limited to one tomato already taken off the plant!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For how big they are the hornworms are amazingly difficult to spot. Great camouflaging !

Compost or birds either way. The birds might not like it if it's been drowned for too long.

soil
Greener Thumb

we have too many birds around here, haven't seen one in a while. if I do find one I give it to the chickens where one grabs it and runs, the others all chase that chicken, it takes a bite, drops it and another repeats the process. one hornworm can be divided up this way to 5-10 chickens. its real fun to watch.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I look for their damage. You see a stem that is stripped of leaves. A worm should still be on it or close by. You gotta make sure to cut all damaged leaves and stems. This way when you look later you can spot new damage and find new worms. I must have picked off about 40 hornworms so far.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Just found one covered in wasp larvae today. I'm gonna leave that sucker on there so the bio-exterminators go into full effect!

mattie g
Green Thumb

mattie g wrote:I was leafing through my already-picked Romas yesterday and a little goop ended up on my hand. As I looked further, I noticed that one of them had two holes on the top of it. A bit closer inspection revealed a green worm on the inside.

I wasn't happy about it, but at least the damage was limited to one tomato already taken off the plant!
BTW - upon futher research, it seems like this one was likely a fruitworm. Definitely not a hornworm!

Moley
Cool Member

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted this guy today, sucks to be him.

A little blurry from my cell...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”