filmnet

I do see that that grow days are for Corn?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

For corn the threshold temperature is 50°F. For peas the threshold temperature is 40°F.

The baseline for field crops like wheat, rye, etc. have been determined by experimenting, probably in growth chambers - the average 24-hour minimum temperature needed for growth.

It is an "all other things being equal" sort of measurement. Drought and that sort of thing would make a difference. The Weather Service begins keeping track on March 1st, I believe. So, any warm days in March or April when your warm-season plants are not out in the garden - wouldn't count. Of course, plants can be set out too early and their growth retarded.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

gardenbean

Of course, plants can be set out too early and their growth retarded. -Steve.

**Or you could step on them by accident or have your 90 lb. Black Lab dig up plants when he thought you werent' looking. Because you know things like that aren't going be found on a chart :P :wink:
Learning as I go and surprising myself when it all comes together......

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

filmnet wrote:I do see that that grow days are for Corn?
Wikipedia suggests that [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing-degree_day]tomatoes and a few other veggies/bugs[/url] share the same baseline temp as corn.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”