Tilde
Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:I bet he wrapped the sandwich around the tomato ! Now there's a purist ! :lol:
:clap:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am planning to grow 3 plants in Spring and 3 plants in fall. But I have a long list of tomatoes to choose from. And the list keeps growing. I am gonna have to give it a good thought on what to grow from my list.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Three plants this fall? I've never grown tomatoes through winter. Fall is when I throw out old plants.
I'll be interested to know how the fall ones work out.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well people have told me it will work. Plus I have read on some sites where they have planting guides by zone and they show a spring and fall planting for tomatoes. I have a black cherry tomato I started 1st week of September from seed and gonna see how it goes. It is about 4 inches tall and has about 2 sets of leaves now.

I guess the trick is to get some tomatoes started in pots ahead of time then as your Spring tomatoes die out transplant the new plants for fall. That is what I am gonna try next year. You may have to prematurely kill your tomato plants. That is what I did this year. I cleared out 8 tomato plants so I could start early on my fall crops. Thing is I started a little too early on them but I got a little lucky.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

PS: It might help a lot to grow early maturing tomatoes too. These Black Cherries I started mature around 65 days.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

In S Cali that is probably doable, in my neck of the woods if they aren't inside they are gonners in a few weeks or so.

You go PunkRotten I will be interested in how this turns out for you.

Me and a few others on another site are going to see how growing dwarfs inside only using window light goes this winter. I already have sprouts and am hoping for a good return of course. I will also be growing a few under lights in the basement, some dwarfs and some of whatever. I wish I had a greenhouse.

Gonna be an intersting winter and an even more intersting spring/fall.

On yeah some peppers are coming in as well. :wink:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am growing Micro-Tom tomatoes in the window right now too.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I hope you'll post pictures of the Micro Tom when the fruits are ready. I would like to see "real" pictures, not just catalog ones.
The catalog says that Micro Toms can grow and bear in a tea cup !

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

We'll see. Right now it is really tiny. It is getting its second pair of leaves. I have it in a 6 inch pot though, but I heard 4 inch would be alright. But I will definitely take some pics. Also when I get some extra seeds I wouldn't mind sending some to people to try.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'd love some seed ! Glad you're planning on pictures too.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

See, its just a tiny thing

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1806.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_1807.jpg[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”