TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

2cents wrote:PunkRotten,
Hardware supply or concrete supply stores sell reinforcement wire, usually 5 ft with 6 in squares, it works well. you cut the wire for your own cages. they will be a perfect 5 ft tall cage.
under 2 ft diameter cage and you will need to support them, there are a number of methods, I like a 8 ft 1 x 2 cut in half(4ft) one on each side and sunk 1 ft in ground next to cage(3ft out of ground) and I use wire ties for quick n easy tie cage to wood stakes.
If you make your tomatoe cages 2.5 feet in diameter or bigger(bigger tends to get too big) then rarely do you need to support the cage(only in extreme wind storms).
How often do most people need a cage taller than 5'?

I have one plant that's nearly 6' tall right now, but I think a 5' cage would support it just fine. Then again this is my first year growing tomatoes, so maybe next year they'll be taller ;)

My other plants are all 5' tall or shorter.

7' mesh is available, but it's typically in 200' rolls. I found one place in Los Angeles that will cut me a 50' section of that, but they want $83.50 for it :shock:, vs. the 5' x 50' roll that I can buy from a different place for $38.

I suppose I can construct a taller cage with two pieces of the 5' stuff, but that's more work, and I'm lazy :D

But I'm also cheap. Am I cheaper or lazier? Or is 5' just good enough for 99% of tomato gardens?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'm more worried about ripening than supporting. Eric
Well, I will "praise" those pretty green tomatoes. Here's hoping for some red ones soon.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
2cents wrote:PunkRotten,
Hardware supply or concrete supply stores sell reinforcement wire, usually 5 ft with 6 in squares, it works well. you cut the wire for your own cages. they will be a perfect 5 ft tall cage.
under 2 ft diameter cage and you will need to support them, there are a number of methods, I like a 8 ft 1 x 2 cut in half(4ft) one on each side and sunk 1 ft in ground next to cage(3ft out of ground) and I use wire ties for quick n easy tie cage to wood stakes.
If you make your tomatoe cages 2.5 feet in diameter or bigger(bigger tends to get too big) then rarely do you need to support the cage(only in extreme wind storms).
How often do most people need a cage taller than 5'?

I have one plant that's nearly 6' tall right now, but I think a 5' cage would support it just fine. Then again this is my first year growing tomatoes, so maybe next year they'll be taller ;)

My other plants are all 5' tall or shorter.

7' mesh is available, but it's typically in 200' rolls. I found one place in Los Angeles that will cut me a 50' section of that, but they want $83.50 for it :shock:, vs. the 5' x 50' roll that I can buy from a different place for $38.

I suppose I can construct a taller cage with two pieces of the 5' stuff, but that's more work, and I'm lazy :D

But I'm also cheap. Am I cheaper or lazier? Or is 5' just good enough for 99% of tomato gardens?

4-5 feet is typical, I have seen some a lot bigger too. All my tomatoes are about 4-5 feet but if I would of took care of them better they could of got huge. I seen some guy on youtube with huge bushes, like 7-8 feet tall and like 5 feet across. I think a 5 foot cage is adequate in most cases though.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

^^
I'll probably just buy the 5' roll and build 5' cages. I'll have leftover mesh, so if I have to extend a cage I'll be able to do that after the fact.

I may even try something fancy so it's like a "hat" that can be attached or detached at will. Depends on my level of laziness :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'm more worried about ripening than supporting. Eric
Well, I will "praise" those pretty green tomatoes. Here's hoping for some red ones soon.
Thank you, and you's a good tomato too. :D

Eric

2cents
Green Thumb

all praise the mater :lol:

most of my plants get no taller than 7-8 feet. they get a foot to 1.5 foot over the top of the cage and then fall & droop over the sides of the cage after a while, that makes for easier picking.
The tallest mater I've seen was close to 10 feet, supported from a gutter string down to ground buried stakes. Wish I had taken a picture.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

These are some big plants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfrkZAS7TA

Skip to around 3:50

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:^^
I'll probably just buy the 5' roll and build 5' cages. I'll have leftover mesh, so if I have to extend a cage I'll be able to do that after the fact.
Has anyone a good source (preferably in the Los Angeles area) for galvanized 6" x 6" mesh? One of the major factors turning me against the traditional remesh cages is the rust. I know that it'll take years for them to rust through, but there's a part of me that just doesn't like rust.

I've seen it in pictures, such as on [url=https://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0801030613774.html]this other forum,[/url] (pictures about halfway down that page) but I've not seen it for sale.

If I could find galvanized mesh it'd certainly push me more towards making my own, vs. buying the insanely expensive Texas Tomato Cages.

Even if I could find the name of a manufacturer I could ask them for local distributors/retailers.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Speaking of the Texas Tomato Cages, does anyone here use them? Can someone post close-up pictures of the "hinge" area where the rings meet the vertical supports, on both types of hinge?

I'm very curious as to how they're constructed, how they might wear/fail, if they could be reverse-engineered with hand tools, etc.

I'm interested in a set of 6 with the extenders, but with shipping that's about $185, which is just wayyyy too much money. Talk about your [url=https://www.amazon.com/64-Tomato-Fortune-Endured-Existential/dp/1565125576]$64 tomatoes[/url]!

organicgardenerswife

I have to reply to this one! I have a bit of strong feeling for this subject. I would 100 times rather have them caged or staked than growing free on the ground!

Why? Well, maybe it was just the growing weather our first few years, but we have never had very nice tomatoes. This year is the first year we got around to staking them.

They are much nicer this year, less rotted, less over-ripe (from missing them because they were so hard to find in the leaves on the ground), and I enjoyed picking them a LOT more!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”