gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

what is your worst tomato?

All my tomatoes are doing great, well the Brandywines are yet to ripen but we know how slow and finicky they are.

Everything is great but my Kelloggs Breakfast. I have had a few good tomatoes off of it. Thing is you need to pick them early or they go soft fast. If you pick them ripe they are soft within a day or two. That is not a good quality in my book. Especially when you have maybe 30 -40 tomatoes sitting on your counter and you can eat them all at once.

Any one else grow these and see the same of different growth habits? I wanted them cause a lot of people raved on them. I don't see it yet. Could just be me or my climate I don't know. But I don't think they will be coming back. :cry:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Uh, oh. This is my 1st try with KB, Gixx. I was just looking at the plant this afternoon.

It is a fairly small plant still but there are, at least, 6 tomatoes on it already. I'm not sure how large it can grow with so much early fruit.

The reason I haven't had it is because I'm not sure if it can ripen fruit here. At this time, I've only had a few handfuls of cherries and not much more. Every other variety is an early. But, the KB was so highly praised everywhere . . . & a friend sent me free seeds ;) . . . I thought 1 plant was worth the risk.

If it waits to the last moment before frost and ripens those 6 or 8 tomatoes, and there is a ton of everything else, how's that gonna work? If KB becomes overripe in a matter of hours in the kitchen - I may still not have tried it by the end of this year :shock: !

Steve

Des_WA

Unfortunately, almost all of them are the worst for me. I seem to just have bad luck and a bad local climate for tomatoes. I have one Prudens Purple about to ripen, and nothing much following it; there is hardly any fruit set, 99% of my numerous blossoms have dropped despite shaking and coaxing and pleading. This spring and summer where I'm at has been lackluster, the lows have barely gotten out of the 50s, and even then it was only for a few days. I was hoping after the total lack of warmth last summer we'd get a break but no such luck. :cry:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't mean to scare you digits that is just my experience so far. Good luck

gardenbean

Well I have two types that I wanted to try this year Snow White and Mr. Stripey. I am not going to try these varities next year!

Mr Stripey nothing but leaves and long vines but only one or two flower blossoms at the most. This variety sure let me down.

Snow White grew very large and I do have fruit on it but I am constantly watering it and its leaves are always folding. For the work and energy I put into it, I am not seeing much in return (produce). And I don't know when to harvest the fruit. Does anyone know what color they are when ripen?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gardenbean reminded me of another I have. Berkley tie dye. That plant is doing nothing it may have 1 maybe 2 fruit on it and they are small. Last year it did nothing as well. Not again.

I have been contemplating taking it out for airflow reasons but right now if nothing else is it is providing shade for my other plants. :lol: :oops: :x

Osu Blue as well pretty tomatoes bad taste. Someone else said there are too many other working hard at getting this stable I will work on something else. They might come out early as well. I don't even harvest anymore. I will save seeds just because. I may even try again with "one" next year. I'm crazy like that.

Des_WA

Update: As of this morning, the single tomato I had that was NEARLY ripe has been eaten by an unidentified creature who is not myself or my husband. :evil: I was so upset, I just wanted to sit down and cry. And I thought it couldn't be worse than last year... :sigh:

Stella Blue

All of my tomato plants are healthy and producing tons of fruit. My worst tasting tomato this year is early girl. Yes, I had the first ripe tomato in the neighorhood, but to me, they are very bland. My favorite so far are the chocolate cherries. The taste just exploded in my mouth!!! I picked my first black krim today, and was a little disappointed. Hopefully it was my fault, it may not have been fully ripe yet. Looks like some golden raves will be ready in a day or 2, but my hopes aren't too high for them. It's just nice to have a different color in the garden.

The regular cherries and supersweets taste ok, but again, after tasting the chocolate cherries, these just don't compare.

I'm already thinking about next years garden. Which tomatoes do you guys think are the best tasting?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

gardenbean wrote:Well I have two types that I wanted to try this year Snow White and Mr. Stripey. I am not going to try these varities next year!

Mr Stripey nothing but leaves and long vines but only one or two flower blossoms at the most. This variety sure let me down.

Snow White grew very large and I do have fruit on it but I am constantly watering it and its leaves are always folding. For the work and energy I put into it, I am not seeing much in return (produce). And I don't know when to harvest the fruit. Does anyone know what color they are when ripen?
These may seem like odd answers, Gardenbean:

I grew Snow White about 5 years ago, they are pretty much white when ripe. However, this was the only cherry that I've ever grown that had blossom end rot problems . . . very serious problems. I wasn't all that pleased with the flavor even with those with no BER.

Mr. Stripey is the name of 2 different tomatoes. One is also known as Tigerella. I believe that name is not used in the UK, however. It is a small tomato of about 2 ounces, I'd guess. It is very early and productive plant. I liked the fruit real well for taste and it is a beautiful, little tomato. That Mr. Stripey was in my garden last year.

There is a larger, beefsteak-type that also goes by that name. I know nothing about that Mr. Stripey.

Steve

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Kinda of funny here.

A guy I work with bought plants, they were supposed to be Big Girl he said. They turned out to be some romas about triple cherry size, so pretty small. Let's just say those are his unfavored tomato this year.

gardenbean

digitS' wrote:
gardenbean wrote:Well I have two types that I wanted to try this year Snow White and Mr. Stripey. I am not going to try these varities next year!

These may seem like odd answers, Gardenbean:

I grew Snow White about 5 years ago, they are pretty much white when ripe. However, this was the only cherry that I've ever grown that had blossom end rot problems . . . very serious problems. I wasn't all that pleased with the flavor even with those with no BER.

Mr. Stripey is the name of 2 different tomatoes. One is also known as Tigerella. I believe that name is not used in the UK, however. It is a small tomato of about 2 ounces, I'd guess. It is very early and productive plant. I liked the fruit real well for taste and it is a beautiful, little tomato. That Mr. Stripey was in my garden last year.

There is a larger, beefsteak-type that also goes by that name. I know nothing about that Mr. Stripey.

No answer is a odd answer digits :lol:

So far I haven't experienced any BER with Snow White. It's my least favorite plant this year and for all the work I have put into it, well, I just don't think its' worth planting again next year.

As for Mr. Stripey, I purchased the beefsteak size and so far I have this large plant with three flowers on it and one of them has a baby fruit on it!!! Geez, with everything I have given it (like the rest of my plants) this one by far has really let me down. So I won't be bothering with Mr. Stripey next year.

Guess thats' how I learn which ones to keep growing and those not to bother with :)

Check out the thread which plants I love and I can list those that have been stellar in my garden this year!!

Steve

soil
Greener Thumb

I grew snow white once, they finished pure white. but they tasted like junk and grew like junk. by far my worst tomato ever.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:I grew snow white once, they finished pure white. but they tasted like junk and grew like junk. by far my worst tomato ever.
I have heard a lot of hating about them lately on a different forum.

gardenbean

soil wrote:I grew snow white once, they finished pure white. but they tasted like junk and grew like junk. by far my worst tomato ever.
Yes that's the way I am feeling towards this plant. It's the most picky plant I have ever grown and I know I will not be growing it again. And the taste??? for me its hard to describe not the most pleasant tomato I have had.

soil
Greener Thumb

glad I'm not the only one who got suckered in on that one. cant beat saving your own seed and growing them. you get what you want, because you picked the plant the seeds came from for a reason.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd say my worst performance wise were 'Pineapple' - I got three tomatoes before the vine succumbed to some bizarre rot/wilt/fungus issue that didn't affect any of the other tomatoes I grew this cycle.

Flavour-wise 'Golden Queen' was a real bust - which is a shame, because the plants were prolific producers. Just waaay too acidic even when picked mostly green-yellow, and truly hideous when red ripe. :evil:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Two thumbs down on Yellow Pear and Celebrity.
Yellow pear was bland, firm and rubbery.
Celebrity was so sweet I was begging people to take them.
Whenever a red tomato is described as rich, tangy or beefsteak tasting, I'm interested !
I haven't tried whites or oranges because I'm assuming they'd be bland or sweet. Also the colors turn me off.
It's red or nuthin' ! (I don't get out much...) :roll:

soil
Greener Thumb

deborah its all about the black tomatoes, flavor to the max.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:deborah its all about the black tomatoes, flavor to the max.
He speaks the truth. I have turned around most of the people I work with that saw my blacks and though I was an idiot. They now prefer them, same at my wife's work when I send a big bag of tom's they request more blacks. Even my boss who hates tomatoes loves my Black Cherries.

DeborahL "Come to the dark side"! :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

LOL, all of you ! OK, are you saying that the black tomatoes have that beefsteak flavor?

mansgirl

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how my Brandywines taste, but I'm a salsa maker, so they rate number one on my worst ever tomato. Not only do they take a long time to grow, they're super hard to peel with all of the lumps and uneveness. From now on I'm sticking to my Beefsteak tomatoes for canned salsa, Roma's for fresh salsa (and canned depending how patient I feel peeling all of those little tomatoes), and one Brandywine plant for summertime BLTs, tomato tortes, and anything pretty I can do with them to impress company. = ) Guess I have a love/hate with heirlooms. ; )

MaryDel

Stella Blue wrote:All of my tomato plants are healthy and producing tons of fruit. My worst tasting tomato this year is early girl. Yes, I had the first ripe tomato in the neighorhood, but to me, they are very bland. My favorite so far are the chocolate cherries. The taste just exploded in my mouth!!! I picked my first black krim today, and was a little disappointed. Hopefully it was my fault, it may not have been fully ripe yet. Looks like some golden raves will be ready in a day or 2, but my hopes aren't too high for them. It's just nice to have a different color in the garden.

The regular cherries and supersweets taste ok, but again, after tasting the chocolate cherries, these just don't compare.

I'm already thinking about next years garden. Which tomatoes do you guys think are the best tasting?

pssssssttttt.........EarlyGirl is one of the worst excuses for a tomato every year :lol: They are early though. I like "Fourth of July" way better. Way more flavor than EG, but slightly tougher skins and they come on just as early.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rutgers! I had two plants. They grew fast, bloomed early; and set tons of fruit. A little septoria started appearing on the lower branches of the Rutgers and a few other plants. The other varieties just ignored the septoria, but both Rutgers plants were totally dead within one week. They were still loaded with half grown green fruit, but they were dead and totally brown. They looked like dead Christmas trees with all of the ornaments still hanging on them.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Disclaimer: When I posted this I meant for this year in my garden. Things can change year to year and garden to garden.

Ealier I said Kellogs Breakfast was my worst. A lot of people seem to like it. I can say one thing at least it has been pumping out tomatoes.

I would like to change my worst to Berkley Tie Dye. Last year it did nothing but had a few very small tom's on it, I planted it late. I tired one plant this year. It is a bit samller than all the others yet still big and healthy. BUT so far this year it has only produced one tomato.

gardenbean

What is septoria?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

gardenbean wrote:What is septoria?
It's a fungal disease, though usually not terminal it can really put you back

Read this https://www.tomatodirt.com/septoria-leaf-spot.html

MaryDel

tedln wrote:Rutgers! I had two plants. They grew fast, bloomed early; and set tons of fruit. A little septoria started appearing on the lower branches of the Rutgers and a few other plants. The other varieties just ignored the septoria, but both Rutgers plants were totally dead within one week. They were still loaded with half grown green fruit, but they were dead and totally brown. They looked like dead Christmas trees with all of the ornaments still hanging on them.

Ted

That's interesting. Rutgers is one of the best growers I've ever seen here. They are indestructable. They are virtually crack free, and disease free. I've never heard of septoria here though. I have some sprawling on the ground unstaked that are giving me dozens of tomatoes a week. The ones that are staked are doing even better. I guess it's just a climate thing.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Marydel that is why I put in the disclaimer. LOL

What doesn't do it for one may do great for others. But than again ther are just some bad tomato's out there.

I write this while my dog is next to me eating her breakfast she just threw up. Dogs are funny.

gardenbean

gixxerific wrote:
gardenbean wrote:What is septoria?
It's a fungal disease, though usually not terminal it can really put you back

Read this https://www.tomatodirt.com/septoria-leaf-spot.html
Thanks Gixx- Sounds like some nasty stuff!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Speaking of Rutgers, is that the "famous New Jersey strain" I've heard about? What does New Jersey strain mean?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My worse tomato was German Johnson. I got about 7 tomatoes total off it before I decided to rip it out. For some reason the plant did not grow very well for me. Tt was the smallest out of all the varieties I grew and had the least flowers and tomatoes.

I think the plant was stunted or out competed. Anyway, the taste was pretty good. They don't keep long though. If I picked a semi ripe tomato, it would ripen fast and within a day or 2 start to get a little mushy. So you gotta eat them fast. I heard so many great things about this tomato, but I had bad luck with it I guess.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”