lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd say my worst performance wise were 'Pineapple' - I got three tomatoes before the vine succumbed to some bizarre rot/wilt/fungus issue that didn't affect any of the other tomatoes I grew this cycle.

Flavour-wise 'Golden Queen' was a real bust - which is a shame, because the plants were prolific producers. Just waaay too acidic even when picked mostly green-yellow, and truly hideous when red ripe. :evil:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Two thumbs down on Yellow Pear and Celebrity.
Yellow pear was bland, firm and rubbery.
Celebrity was so sweet I was begging people to take them.
Whenever a red tomato is described as rich, tangy or beefsteak tasting, I'm interested !
I haven't tried whites or oranges because I'm assuming they'd be bland or sweet. Also the colors turn me off.
It's red or nuthin' ! (I don't get out much...) :roll:

soil
Greener Thumb

deborah its all about the black tomatoes, flavor to the max.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:deborah its all about the black tomatoes, flavor to the max.
He speaks the truth. I have turned around most of the people I work with that saw my blacks and though I was an idiot. They now prefer them, same at my wife's work when I send a big bag of tom's they request more blacks. Even my boss who hates tomatoes loves my Black Cherries.

DeborahL "Come to the dark side"! :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

LOL, all of you ! OK, are you saying that the black tomatoes have that beefsteak flavor?

mansgirl

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how my Brandywines taste, but I'm a salsa maker, so they rate number one on my worst ever tomato. Not only do they take a long time to grow, they're super hard to peel with all of the lumps and uneveness. From now on I'm sticking to my Beefsteak tomatoes for canned salsa, Roma's for fresh salsa (and canned depending how patient I feel peeling all of those little tomatoes), and one Brandywine plant for summertime BLTs, tomato tortes, and anything pretty I can do with them to impress company. = ) Guess I have a love/hate with heirlooms. ; )

MaryDel

Stella Blue wrote:All of my tomato plants are healthy and producing tons of fruit. My worst tasting tomato this year is early girl. Yes, I had the first ripe tomato in the neighorhood, but to me, they are very bland. My favorite so far are the chocolate cherries. The taste just exploded in my mouth!!! I picked my first black krim today, and was a little disappointed. Hopefully it was my fault, it may not have been fully ripe yet. Looks like some golden raves will be ready in a day or 2, but my hopes aren't too high for them. It's just nice to have a different color in the garden.

The regular cherries and supersweets taste ok, but again, after tasting the chocolate cherries, these just don't compare.

I'm already thinking about next years garden. Which tomatoes do you guys think are the best tasting?

pssssssttttt.........EarlyGirl is one of the worst excuses for a tomato every year :lol: They are early though. I like "Fourth of July" way better. Way more flavor than EG, but slightly tougher skins and they come on just as early.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rutgers! I had two plants. They grew fast, bloomed early; and set tons of fruit. A little septoria started appearing on the lower branches of the Rutgers and a few other plants. The other varieties just ignored the septoria, but both Rutgers plants were totally dead within one week. They were still loaded with half grown green fruit, but they were dead and totally brown. They looked like dead Christmas trees with all of the ornaments still hanging on them.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Disclaimer: When I posted this I meant for this year in my garden. Things can change year to year and garden to garden.

Ealier I said Kellogs Breakfast was my worst. A lot of people seem to like it. I can say one thing at least it has been pumping out tomatoes.

I would like to change my worst to Berkley Tie Dye. Last year it did nothing but had a few very small tom's on it, I planted it late. I tired one plant this year. It is a bit samller than all the others yet still big and healthy. BUT so far this year it has only produced one tomato.

gardenbean

What is septoria?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

gardenbean wrote:What is septoria?
It's a fungal disease, though usually not terminal it can really put you back

Read this https://www.tomatodirt.com/septoria-leaf-spot.html

MaryDel

tedln wrote:Rutgers! I had two plants. They grew fast, bloomed early; and set tons of fruit. A little septoria started appearing on the lower branches of the Rutgers and a few other plants. The other varieties just ignored the septoria, but both Rutgers plants were totally dead within one week. They were still loaded with half grown green fruit, but they were dead and totally brown. They looked like dead Christmas trees with all of the ornaments still hanging on them.

Ted

That's interesting. Rutgers is one of the best growers I've ever seen here. They are indestructable. They are virtually crack free, and disease free. I've never heard of septoria here though. I have some sprawling on the ground unstaked that are giving me dozens of tomatoes a week. The ones that are staked are doing even better. I guess it's just a climate thing.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Marydel that is why I put in the disclaimer. LOL

What doesn't do it for one may do great for others. But than again ther are just some bad tomato's out there.

I write this while my dog is next to me eating her breakfast she just threw up. Dogs are funny.

gardenbean

gixxerific wrote:
gardenbean wrote:What is septoria?
It's a fungal disease, though usually not terminal it can really put you back

Read this https://www.tomatodirt.com/septoria-leaf-spot.html
Thanks Gixx- Sounds like some nasty stuff!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Speaking of Rutgers, is that the "famous New Jersey strain" I've heard about? What does New Jersey strain mean?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My worse tomato was German Johnson. I got about 7 tomatoes total off it before I decided to rip it out. For some reason the plant did not grow very well for me. Tt was the smallest out of all the varieties I grew and had the least flowers and tomatoes.

I think the plant was stunted or out competed. Anyway, the taste was pretty good. They don't keep long though. If I picked a semi ripe tomato, it would ripen fast and within a day or 2 start to get a little mushy. So you gotta eat them fast. I heard so many great things about this tomato, but I had bad luck with it I guess.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”