davefromwestchester

Tales from a garden in Westchester County

Hi all,

Experiencing a terrific summer so far. No major disaster except for a bit of leaf fungus on some cuke plants which we've stabilized.

Yesterday, my wife went out into the garden, fenced in, about 50' by 20', and she heard a rustling near the squash plants and lo and behold, a deer had some how stormed thru the fencing and was rummaging. He (or she) bolted through the deer netting and leaped the wire fence, leaving the wife a tad freaked out. It's been hot here and pretty dry so I think the critters are getting aggressive. I'm breaking out my bow and arrow and planning on venison for the bar-b-que some time soon.

Also, I learned the lesson, "Read the labels of green pepper plants" before you buy and plant them. I plucked off what I thought was your standard sweet green pepper and took a huge bite only to discover it was some kind of hot pepper. Now I have to dig up some recipes for hot peppers!

My only question today is about carrots. How much to water them. I've got a bed of about 150 carrots, all growing well, the stalks are over 9", real green, but I've harvested a few and the carrot is around 2-4 inches max and kind of runty looking. A couple tasted real good. My question is how often to water and should I wait until like late Sept to harvest? Will they grow that much more by then? This is my first time with carrots.

Thanks!

DR from Hastings on Hudson

davefromwestchester

Sorry, this was meant to go on the main vegetable board. Sorry!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”