gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Seems like I have tomato hornworms.

Well that's waht Mr. Cardinal told me today. As I was shopping for garlic I see a cardinal land right outside my window.

"Oh wait he has something in its mouth, that better not be a flower stem, oh snap that is a hornworm":P :clap:

Thanks buddy, I went to the window to get a better look and scared him away, but the ol' horny already has wasp eggs on him. A double plus. Time to go check out the garden now.

applestar
Mod

Good to see your Garden Patrol members on the job. :wink:

Male cardinals are such a show-off and good at tooting his horn (or singing at the top of his voice from the highest perch available) -- he probably wanted to make sure you acknowledged his accomplishments. :lol:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have lots of birds in our yard. Over the season I've seen evidence of tomato hornworms a time or two, but never found an active muncher. The bird patrols must be effective here as well.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I think the little birds clean them out here early in the season but when the cages fill up with leaves the birds can't find them as easily. I see little wrens etc hopping through the cages all the time.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

TZ I have an army of birds that lovingly hop around my thick plants. They are doing a great job

I posted about them here. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216053#216053

soil
Greener Thumb

I don't even check for them anymore. the birds always seem to get them before they can do any damage.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”