filmnet

Yes, i do tie the first stem , and hope the stem grows , but the 2 on the left plants did not grow for 30 days, to cold. They have 2 stems so i have to let them both grow. Last year i had fruit on the bottoms huge ones, more in middle of plants and last fruit on tops. Plants were 6 ft high. My Cherry plants are all with 1 stem also.

gardenbean

After looking at the pictures (they were really nice looking plants) it got me wondering what was their soil is like. To me, it's got to be the soil that has a lot to do with how big those tomatoes were and I wonder what variety to they grow there. Geez, I'm full of lots of questions today :wink:
Learning as I go and surprising myself when it all comes together......

filmnet

I use hay from the ocean here, the garden was the bottom of a barn from 1800 - 1945 with horses inside here is a print of the house from 1890s my wife,s family has lived here from 1826 house was built 1816.The dirt is beautiful if you pick some up it just falls apart in your hands, WORMS everywhere, i just cut the ground open last year and last year the plants were unbelievable lbs from 6 plants Heiloom plants, Carbon,Black krim, Brads black heart, brads black/brown boars Berklety tie die, i love brads plants, last year he gave us seed for free all grew great. the barn had dirt inside
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/small365.jpg[/img]

gardenbean

Filmnet, sounds to me you just won a jackpot in regards to your soil! You are greatly blessed! I bet your produce is stellar in growth and abundance. My soil is a long way from being fair, but I'm working on it :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

This is the first time ever that I'm pruning to the main stem. So far, so good. These are beefsteaks, and I'm wondering if the plant can support the fruit without side foliage?
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

filmnet

Yes it will if the fruits come out of the stems, if they come out on the branch's No.

gardenbean

What about sunscald? Do you leave some leaves so the fruit have cover ( I do this way and so far I've only had a few tomatoes with some sunscald).

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”