mtgarden gal

how long does it take tomatoes to ripen?!?!?

I have a couple cherry tomatoe plants that have had fruits on them for at least two weeks now. (I was told by their shape they are "plums"?) They just hang there..... how long does it take for them to start ripening? I keep waiting and expecting to see even a tiny bit of red forming and still nothing. I have been keeping the plants watered really well due to the temp being in the high 90s for the last week. Too much water? Too hot out? Help me understand my tomatoes, please. am I just not being patient enough?

[img]https://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/DawnOlivo/Garden%20July%2016%202011/veggiegarden7-16-2011039.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

A quick and dirty estimate is to subtract 20-25 days from the DTM listed on the the seed pack. Many cherry varieties are around 65 days DTM so about 40-45 days from flower drop to red fruit.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Once the fruit gets full sized, you still have 10 days to two weeks for most to ripen. That process could be quicker in very warm weather, but tomatoes are always the tease. You watch and wait for the fruit to get full sized, and then you think [just about ready] and then you end up watching and waiting for lots more days. When the fruit gets a slight blush, then you are getting close!

mtgarden gal

wow. ok, thanks you two. I guess I was being a typical newbie and expected tomatoes to ripen much faster than what they do. bummer. But I will be patient and keep waiting for my first taste. :D

lereg15

Like you, I go out to my garden, apparently too much!! I expect to see them ripen over night. Patience my my huge fault in this whole thing. I planted my plants about 3 weeks ago, and still am only getting cherries out. :oops:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”