gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Harvest July 20, 2011 bigger is better!!

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05332.jpg[/img]

Just picked a bunch more tom's with more just about ready. This year is going strong I can't believe the turn around from last year. I sold most of these to the market up the street along with a few onions. Next stop the canner.

These are clockwise from the top right Black From Tula, Couer de Bouef, Arkansas Traveler, Giant Syrian, Spudakee and Paul Robenson. The basket is a mix of OSU Blue and Black Cherry.

lereg15

Looks great, Bro!! This is my first year of growing tomatoes, and I hope I can accomplish the output as you do!! It'll take me sometime for it, but I'll get there :D

applestar
Mod

That's great, Gixx! looking REALLY good! :D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Nice Haul.

The big pinks show a good color stage for picking to avoid rain splits and varmint damage. You can pick the whole patch every three days and never worry about missing over ripe fruits but its hard to take pretty pictures of fruit on plants.

My radio Garden Guru Ron Wilson wouldn't eat those because they are funny colors (he pretty much follows the party line about red hybrids and sickly funny colored heirlooms).

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Great looking tomatoes. I started with a black or two last year and planted more this year. They are quickly becoming my favorite tomato type. I like the acid/sweet balance plus like the texture. What are your favorite two from the photo above?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Great looking tomatoes. I started with a black or two last year and planted more this year. They are quickly becoming my favorite tomato type. I like the acid/sweet balance plus like the texture. What are your favorite two from the photo above?
Good question I would say for now Giant Syrian and Black From Tula. Giant Syrian is sweet and meaty, the good sized ones are sandwich size (that is a plus) and BFT is sweet with that rich flavor you get from blacks, not too mention a juice fest in every one. I haven't really had enough of the others to really say. I should do a taste test.

Got to mention Black Cherry though I totally love this tomato and it will find it's way back into my garden every year. It is the best. I have 3 in the garden and 3 in pots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Nice Haul.

The big pinks show a good color stage for picking to avoid rain splits and varmint damage. You can pick the whole patch every three days and never worry about missing over ripe fruits but its hard to take pretty pictures of fruit on plants.
The big pink ones are Giant Syrian and yes they do get red. But the small pink ones on the top right are Ark Traveler they are supposed to be pink. :lol:

About your Guru guy, I just sold some to the market. He was a bit apprehensive to buy my blacks and other odd shaped tomatoes. We had a discussion about that same thing. The MAJORITY of people want a perfect round perfect red tomato. The people in the know will take anything. So hopefully he can get some people that know what they are looking for. I think he will be fine. I brought some of my Candy onions up there, a lady was in a while back requesting them. Go figure, at least someone know what's up.

That again there was another lady in looking at some tom's he had out which had the very slightest of green on them, they were beautiful tomatoes, round and red, just a hint of green though. She didn't want them since they weren't ripe. :lol: :lol: :roll:

People make me laugh.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good looking maters, and really glad your garden is a big turn around from last year!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Long time no see DV I was about to PM you, I was getting worried.

Thanks for the kind words.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”