PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have 2 questions

Hi,

I accidentally cut off these 2 tomatoes and they are not ripe yet. If I kept them would they become ripe later?

[img]https://i52.tinypic.com/2zew7qw.jpg[/img]

I picked my first 3 ripe tomatoes today and discovered that something has eaten into them. Could anyone identify what pest could of done this? Does it look like insect damage or like a small animal?

[img]https://i55.tinypic.com/aepmrk.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i53.tinypic.com/a4ab7a.jpg[/img]

Thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry not sure on the pest problem others on here will know, somehow they always know. :o

But the tomatoes you picked at least the one that has turned, or started to ripen, will be fine. Keep it out of the sun inside. Once a tomato turns it is cut off from the plant so in reality it no longer needs to be on there.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have to pick my tomatoes as soon as they turn pink, and even then the animals beat me to some of them. Heck, they even chow down on the green ones now and then.

As far as identifying the bite and the chew...it could be chipmunks. I know they have been eating mine, along with squirrels and who knows what else.

Good luck with your tomato crop.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I cut off another tomato later that was a little early. Wanted to get it before the pest(s) did. I think it may of been a rat or something like that. The other day I was watering and saw some small animal run by that looked like a rat, but had a more bushier tail. But it was not a squirrel. I am not sure what it was.

But I hope this problem doesn't continue. I already been dealing with hornworms.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If it is hot and dry and no water for the birds, the birds will make holes in tomatoes to get a drink. Put a bird bath in your garden.

Tirtles can climb. I have had trouble with turtles eating my tomatoes.

Rabbits will eat tomatoes too.

Runningtrails

A large, nocturnal garden cat will do wonders keeping rodents from eating your produce ;-)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Birds get water form my small pond I doubt they are doing it. I found another tomato yesterday with the same problem. All these tomatoes are growing at ground level.

I also don't think Rabbits are doing it or Turtles I don't really live in an area that is friendly to these animals. What I mean is I live more in the city and I have never seen Rabbits or turtles or anything like that. What I have seen are possums and rats before. Could be one of them.

I used to have a big outdoor dog but he passed away 2 years ago. He'd keep all the little critters out. I do have a cat now but this cat is an indoor cat.

BTW, they 2 tomatoes I picked early are ripening, in fact they are almost ready to eat. I am gonna pick all my tomatoes a little early.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

PunkRotten wrote: I am gonna pick all my tomatoes a little early.
Good idea. Each year I try to give some tomatoes to my lake neighbors. I usually have plenty and they are always appreciative. Today I took some in a plastic bag over via SeaDoo and put them on my neighbors pier. As I returned I noticed a nice red tomato floating in the water. I thought "I must have dropped one out of the bag" I slowly approached the tomato and grabbed it. It was a beautiful red tomato 1/3 eaten by some varment. I guess they picked it and it slid off into the water.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

The critters that create that type of fruit damage in my area are as follows in order of frequency.

1. Birds! They typically damage the fruit like yours. They may do it too many different fruit without eating a lot of any. Fake owls and rubber snakes do a pretty good job of deterring them, but you need to move the fake owls and snakes about once per week.

2. Grasshoppers! Yep grasshoppers. They usually emerge about 1/4" long in the spring. As they feed on anything green, they grow. In mid to late summer and early fall; they sometimes grow to 2" in length. In their larger size, I often see them eating tomatoes, cucumbers, and eggplant in my garden in addition to the green plants. Many people use insecticides to control them, but if they are prevalent in your area, new hoppers move in within a couple of days. I just figure the loss to grasshoppers is simply the cost of doing business in my garden. I do attempt to harvest the most delectable fruits before they fall prey to the hoppers and leave the rejects for the hoppers. I had one tomato this spring that was almost ripe in the morning and by evening a hopper had eaten one side of the tomato away.

Ted

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

My father has been growing tomatoes in the same garden for 50 years. After decades of trouble free growing, he's suddenly having problems with squirrels. They pick a tomato, take one or two bites out of it, and toss it on the ground before moving on to the next. He has also had to start picking them early and letting them finish ripening off the plant. This started a couple of years ago, but the squirrels have always been around. Don't know why they've suddenly started going for the tomatoes.

StreedGardens
Newly Registered

You might want to consider slugs. If you keep your garden watered, and since you are growing the plants on the ground, slugs are a real possibility. Try putting a wood plank in the garden overnight (even wet the ground where you put the plank) and see if it attracts slugs. They will use the plank as sun protection.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Father's Daughter wrote:After decades of trouble free growing, he's suddenly having problems with squirrels. They pick a tomato, take one or two bites out of it, and toss it on the ground before moving on to the next. He has also had to start picking them early and letting them finish ripening off the plant. This started a couple of years ago, but the squirrels have always been around. Don't know why they've suddenly started going for the tomatoes.
With the help of my .22 I have two less squirrels today than yesterday. Same situation you describe, and one of them had a tomato in his mouth that weighed at least as much as the squirrel.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Father's Daughter wrote:My father has been growing tomatoes in the same garden for 50 years. After decades of trouble free growing, he's suddenly having problems with squirrels. They pick a tomato, take one or two bites out of it, and toss it on the ground before moving on to the next. He has also had to start picking them early and letting them finish ripening off the plant. This started a couple of years ago, but the squirrels have always been around. Don't know why they've suddenly started going for the tomatoes.
I'm lucky. I've got a 50-pound, pure-muscle pit mix that the squirrels apparently don't realize is friendly as the day is long. Although I have a sneaking suspiscion he might play with them to death is he ever got ahold of one!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah whatever is eating them it only takes a few bites and then leaves the rest. I have seen a few grasshoppers but not many. I used to have earwigs and they would damage my pepper plants and onions but they seemed to have moved on.

I really think it's a small animal like a possum or rat. Every ripe or close to ripe tomato I find has bite marks. There was this big tomato that was on the ground and it was almost ripe so I cut it off. As I lifted it I saw a bunch of holes and an earthworm hanging on it half way into the tomato. So now I am cutting off the tomatoes as soon as they are getting yellow or have a little patch of red on them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”