mattie g
Green Thumb

Fertilizing Containered Maters v. In-ground Maters

As I mentioned in my [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37440]thread from a couple days ago[/url], I have a Black Krim that shares an ~10-gallon window planter with a Roma. I realize this is pushing the limits of container size for tomatoes, but they both are doing well (aside from the breakage on the Black Krim) and producing tomatoes. I also have another Roma and two each of Pink Brandywines and German Queens directly in the soil.

My question is: How much more often should I be fertilizing the containered plants compared to the in-ground plants? I know that nutrients are washed out of containers much more easily...but what's a general rule for the frequency of fertilizing them? Since this is the time when so many nutrients are required by the plants, I want to get this as right as possible!

Black Krim is 4-4.5 feet tall with 6-8 medium-size tomatoes (and more blossoms) and the Roma is a couple feet tall with about 15 tomatoes of various sizes (and more blossoms) on it. All plants were transplanted into a combination of mushroom compost, topsoil, and native soil in late-April. I've got 2-4-1 fish fertilizer at my disposal and have used it once on all plants so far (a week ago).

Thanks!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That's a tough question. If done properly there will be very little washout from containers. The trick is to give them just enough that they can take it up before the next watering. I usually err on the side of not enough fertilizer and only give it to them when they look like they need it. Growth will be slowed, and lower leaves will start to show sighs of yellowing /nutrient deficiency. A 4 ft tall BK at this time of the year sounds well nourished to me.

As for in-ground plants, fertilizing the soil (either granular mineral ferts or organic ferts) before the season starts is all most people do.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Thanks, TZ. The Black Krim really does look good aside from the breakage (no yellowing [knock on wood] and it's growing consistently), and the Roma is producing pretty well. Just wanted to be sure I'm getting them what they need so I can get full production out of them. I'll just be sure to keep them watered, and fertilize if things are slowing down a bit.

One each of the Pink Brandywine and German Queen, on the other hand, are going gangbusters. This is only my second year of really trying to garden - last year was a learning year - and I'm almost overwhelmed by the size of them (about 5' and bushy now, luscious green with plenty of growing fruit/flowers)! I suppose now I'll hold off on the fertilizer. The others were in small pots until about two weeks ago, when I transplanted them directly into the ground - they were a little spindly and a little under 3' tall.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”