wmsbgva
Newly Registered

Tomato's won't turn red

Hello all, I live in Williamsburg VA and I have several tomato plants that are 6 ft tall, very full, green and loaded with tomato's...problem is they won't turn red , bigger problem is my Golden has developed an appetite for hard green tomato's....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (for the red tomato issue that is).

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes get close to full size about half way through thier development so it seems like it takes forever before they turn red. For an average 10-16 oz beefsteak variety (DTM 75-80 days) it will take about 50 days from the time the flower drops untill the fruit starts turning red.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What's the weather like where you are?

Here's a thread we had a couple years ago about tomatoes not ripening:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87243&highlight=tomatoes+heat#87243

One of the most common causes is temperatures above 90 or so (depending on the variety, some are more heat resistant than others).

wmsbgva
Newly Registered

Thanks for the information, weather has been very hot lately and it has been approx 45 days since blooms fell. Appreciate the feedback, thanks. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Give them time keep them moist and they will come.

Simple as that.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I planted several green tomatoes this year. Make sure you don't have a green variety that ripens green!

mattie g
Green Thumb

I'm just happy I've got plants that are fruiting like mine are this year. For me, waiting to see if they'll make it long enough to fruit was the hard part. Turning red? No sweat!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

wmsbgva wrote: bigger problem is my Golden has developed an appetite for hard green tomato's....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (for the red tomato issue that is).
Uh Oh, could be a problem. I have issues with squirrels. I have a fence around the garden to keep the deer out, and every now and then the squirrels will leave me a mostly chewed tomato on the gate post. It is like they are saying "nanie nanie poo poo". Well the .22 is coming out this weekend.

Just give the tomatoes time, and do something to keep Goldie from them

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”