pbanty
Newly Registered

Tomato Leaves Turning Yellow

I've been growing hybrid, indeterminate tomatoes (think they're napa grapes). Recently, around flowering time, the bottom leaves have turned yellow and have started to wilt away.

After googling the problem, seems like many things could be wrong. My guess is it's related to the tomatoes being in pots and flowering but any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a photo of the tomato. Also, I did remove some of the yellow leaves myself. There were more.

[img]https://I.imgur.com/2AvtF.jpg[/img]

[img]https://I.imgur.com/YBjbl.jpg[/img][/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Possibly one of the wilts, which often affects one side of the stem or one side of the leaf early on, but it also looks like maybe nitrogen deficiency, but that may be the result of not seeing what leaves you removed. The plants also look leggy (low light).

pbanty
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply, TZ.

Very good call on the low light observation. We've literally had about 5 straight days of rain/little sun. It'll be interesting to see if they look better after the next few days of clear weather.

For fertilization, the soil is potting soil from Home Depot. Also have used some Jobe's tomato sticks (not too much nitrogen) and some fish emulsion (I think 5%).

Thanks again for the response. Should help me look in a few other places.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If the pots were waterlogged with a lot of rain then the suffocating roots would not pick up nutrients and the plant would have to pull them from the older leaves. I don't know how effective the tomato spikes are--they just don't make sense to me. The fish emulsion should be good.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I tend to agree with TZ on the waterlogged condition...

Last leftover tomato seedlings (spares) I tend to neglect somewhat... And if it does rain for 3-4 days, followed by overcast for few days, lower leafs are indeed turn yellow... Though if I do use any of them later, with lower leafs removed, plants do just fine...

As for those Jobe's spikes, I've tried them in containers few years back, and I didn't feel that results satisfactory, have not used them since... Fish emulsion based fertilizer on the other hand I use, and with good results.

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”