Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Contain tomato taste compared to open garden!

Has anyone noticed a different in taste with container tomatoes? How big should a cointainer be to grow a nice size tomato plant? How long will a tomato plant grow in a container if its placed in a greenhouse for the winter? Should suckers be removed in a container tomato plant? Any other advice in container planting of tomatoes?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Has anyone noticed a different in taste with container tomatoes?

It would be expected due to differnces in mineral and nutrient levels as well as moisture levels. I suspect that good potting mix and proper watering would give better flavor than much of my soil of reclaimed clay.

How big should a cointainer be to grow a nice size tomato plant?

Many people use 5 gal containers, but bigger is better.

How long will a tomato plant grow in a container if its placed in a greenhouse for the winter?

For an indeterminant variety, indefinitely if protected from disease. Check out the world's largest tomato plant at EPCOT center. The pot will get full of roots so you might want to pull the plant trim the roots and repot, but it might be easier just to take cuttings.

Should suckers be removed in a container tomato plant?

I would say 'yes' to keep the top of the plant in proportion with the root area. A container is worse than close spacing in the garden because of the limited root space but if using large self watering containers you can let the plant get larger.

Any other advice in container planting of tomatoes?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

As for the "any other advice".

They need to be fertilized more since you are essentially washing out the nutrients every time you water. Make sure you water a lot they will dry up in a day due to the fact there is less soil and it is in more direct contact with the sun and air.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”